Feature request

12

Feature request

kc7noa
Id like to see a "per band" gain control on the band enable tab ... (and harmonic operation)

Reason why is this ... My SDR is HF, VHF and UHF .. using different amps with different gain levels ....

Honestly my VHF UHV will probably be virtually the same (dont know yet -- UHF is not built yet) but the HF VHF are clearly different ...

Re: Feature request

I don't understand.  There is already a Tx Level control for each band.  What radio type are you using, and does it use "tx_level" in its hardware file?

Re: Feature request

kc7noa
I don't remember seeing one ... per band .., only on the Tx tab .... and i dont remember it changing per band, even after restart it would always revert to 70% ...

Im not using the older .quisk_conf.py but using the GUI tabs .. using version 4.1.1 right now ...

Re: Feature request

kc7noa
and now i just installed 4.1.2 ....

Its using ----> softrock/hardware_usb.py --- basically a UHFSDR with a QRP2000 (PE0FKO controller firmware 15.15)

with the softrock/widgets_tx.py .....

Re: Feature request

There is no tx_level control for SoftRock.  It doesn't exist in the hardware.

Re: Feature request

kc7noa
Nope -- your right ... most all set it by adjusting alsamixer or pavucontrol (linux - Ubuntu) the Tx soundcard output level to what they need.

with that said .. it gets very tiresome ... when different bands have different drive requirements ... and even different amps -- hf,vhf/uhf.  (UHFSDR)

The idea is to set the soundcard to a max level for the lowest gain band and have Quisk software lowering adjustments per band (maybe even mode too -- i run less power on FM than SSB on 2M)

Just now though of it -- even lowering the power (volume) for the Digtal modes might be a good idea for 100% duty cycle modes ... and FreeDV -- i always lower the Tx soundcard drive level there too ....

Re: Feature request

I see what you mean.  But lowering the digital level means lowering the bits used.  So your DAC is working a reduced bit count.

Re: Feature request

kc7noa
I wonder if it would be possible for quisk to send a volume set level to alsa(mixer?) ... to the Tx soundcard listed as the Tx output ....

Re: Feature request

kc7noa
looks like it would not be that hard to impliment ....

iv just read that from a terminal you can

amixer -c 0 set Front 50DB

You already have a routine to detect the alsa devices ... (i think) and most every one has already declared a sound device in the gui ...

from ....

http://askubuntu.com/questions/97936/terminal-command-to-set-audio-volume

Re: Feature request

kc7noa
Jim N2ADR , any thoughts on adding harmonic operation to the bands tab?

Re: Feature request

I do not understand.  What hardware are you using and what would the feature do?

Re: Feature request

kc7noa
UHFSDR and extend the range (frequency) above 707Mhz (highst in freq the UHFSDR can go with class A Si570)

707 X3 = 2.121Ghz

707 X5 = 3.535Ghz

707 X7 = 4.949Ghz

707mhz X9 = 6.363 Ghz -- probably where diminishing returns makes above here impractical ... let alone phase error ... im not sure.

Re: Feature request

DJ6OA
Hello Mike,

Did you invent fully different RF input and output stages for the UHFSDR?

The standard UHFSDR uses ADE-2ASK mixers with 1GHz max.

While the HMC 482 and HMC 544 are good for over 4GHz, the BGA612 maxes out at 2.8GHz.

Further, according to measurements made by me with a VNWA long time ago at the time of introduction of the UHF, the circuit board of the UHFSDR has shown rather reduced properties beyond about 600MHz as regards reflection and stability.

It therefore might be interesting  what type in input and output stages you have devised.

Possibly the Lime SDR might be a better choice for your efforts.

Best regards,

Rainer DJ6OA

Re: Feature request

kc7noa
This post was updated on .
Im still waiting for the LimeSdr to arrive ....

Yes i have replaced the Rx amp with a SPF5043Z (spect to 4ghz)

R3 and L1 have both been replaced with better wide band chokes ... L1 with one meant for Tx (some conical thing -- i forget at the moment)

HMC482 produces power (gain of 10db) at 5ghz with 10dbm output

HMC544 is good to 4Ghz with 1db of insertion loss ... so prolly good farther up .....

ADE-2ASK can do more than 1ghz .. but the isolation starts to get really poor ... (wonder what a pair of MDB-24H+ cost)

Re: Feature request

kc7noa
Jim .. found this reference about square wave LO and harmonic relationship of phase ..

https://books.google.com/books?id=QbJ4DQAAQBAJ&pg=PT279&lpg=PT279&dq=square+wave+3rd+harmonics+phase+relation&source=bl&ots=DVITp7avrz&sig=L7r1inSERhnbC4Npal0VJYaSnAQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihhpqtqNfQAhUL5WMKHQK2DU84ChDoAQg3MAU#v=onepage&q=square%20wave%203rd%20harmonics%20phase%20relation&f=false

wish i could find a n0n-ebook reference ...

Basically it states that the 3rd , 7th 11th harmonics are 180deg out of phase with fundemental ... and that 5th, 9th etc are in phase .... meaning that 3rd, 7th and 11th harmonic need I/Q reversed but 5th, 9th do not ...

Re: Feature request

kc7noa
think ill try this tomorrow with my UHFSDR .. by changing the controller divider to 1/5 of what it is now .. i should get a Lo that would normally be used for 10m .. but shows 2meters on the display and with a bandpass filter for 2m should get operation of 2m with I/Q in the correct phase.

I did this once before for 3rd harmonic -- not knowing about the 180deg phase change -- left me baffled for a bit as to why the I/Q needed reversed .... lol. It did work bty ... the If does not get changed in any way that i could detect.

Re: Feature request

It sounds like you just need to set Quisk to operate at the higher frequency, and then send a frequency of 1/3 to your hardware.  You would just divide the frequency by 3 in Hardware.ChangeFrequency().

Re: Feature request

kc7noa
Sounds easy enough ....

not sure where Hardware.ChangeFrequency() is ... but for 3rd/7th harmonic I/Q needs to swap to maintain correct offset  ... thats why i was thinking an additional entry to the bands tab.

Re: Feature request

kc7noa
Can this be started to implemented .. by changing line

tune, vfo = Hardware.ChangeFrequency(vfo + tune, vfo, source, band, event)

tune, vfo = Hardware.ChangeFrequency((vfo + tune, vfo, source, band, event)/(harmonic))

and in the quisk_conf.py add a line

harmonic=3   ##3rd harmonic or 5th or 7th ?

Re: Feature request

No, you need to change your hardware file, or write your own hardware file and change that.  In the hardware file:

  def ChangeFrequency(self, tune, vfo, source='', band='', event=None):

The tune is the Tx frequency and vfo is the receiver center frequency.  So you need something like:

tune /= 3

and then pass tune to your hardware.

12