Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

bobltx
I now have Quisk-4.1.1 running beautifully with the Red Pitaya SDR Transceiver and would like to switch filters for each band using I2C code (possibly) through the Red Pitaya.

At present I am experimenting with a PCF8574 expansion board with a view to using that, the KISS approach :-)
Can some code be put into the config file, or is it no that easy?

 I am not sure how to do this, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Bob GW3LTX
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

ahlstromjc
Administrator
Hello Bob,

You would need to create your own hardware file and add Python code to do this.  It is fairly easy if you know Python.

Jim
N2ADR
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

bobltx
Thanks Jim,

May I also thank you for a great SDR program, the more I use it the more I like it.  Currently using it with Linux Mint 18 64bit and the RP.  160m only at present hence the need to switch filters.

However my programming skills in python are virtually zero and at 79 I'm getting a too old to start learning .  .   I am now attempting to compile the DC2PD '.c' file when I can get into the RP using FileZilla, the login details seem to have changed,  and then use the Alex board data to do the job.

BTW I have changed some of the "C" colour scheme colours on my system to:

color_graph '#000000'
color_graphlabels '#FFFFFF'
color_bandwidth '333333'

This give a really nice display and has impressed one or two fellow hams who have seen it. (they are all Windows users though)  :-)

73 de Bob
GW3LTX
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

DJ6OA
Hello Bob,

There is no need to recompile the DC2PD 'c' file since the latest versions of the sdr-transceiver-hpsdr of Pavel Demin already contain the supplements of DC2PD. Please see 'pavel-demin-github.io/red-pitaya-notes/sdr-transceiver-hpsdr' and the link to DC2PD therein. You only need to obtain and slightly modify one or two of the PCA9555 boards available on the Internet at rather low prices.

In spite of this and in view of the large number of different SDR transceivers and SDR programs accumulated over the years which all share the same RS-232-15 connector to the 'mother' PC for the exchange of power and signals, I am presently pursuing the idea of a small Arduino interface allowing the SDR's to send a short transmit pulse for paving their way through the filters to the PA and switching it into TX mode in an AUTO-Tuner way. I will have to see whether the delay caused thereby may be made short enough to be acceptable. Presently, all SDR inclusive the RED PITAYA run on my favorite QUISK-program in view of the easy change of RADIOs therein.

73 de Rainer
DJ6OA
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

bobltx
Hi Rainer,

Thank for the info I will get the later version and make up another microSD card and find the necessary PCA9555 expander board to do the job.

Your project using the Arduino sounds interesting, as a lot of PCs now don't have RS-232 ports as standard it could be a good way to go.  From an radio amateurs angle the RS-232 port gave a lot of useful signals lines for control, whereas USB means another 'gadget' has to be incorporated into the line to try and get similar control.  An auto sensing  'box' could be a versatile solution if it can be rig independent, I would be interested to know how you get on.

73 de Bob
GW3LTX
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

bobltx
Hello again Rainer,

Just for info I downloaded the latest sdr-transceiver-hpsdr from Pavel's site but found I had already got the same version 0.95-1-6deb253-sdr-transceiver-hpsdr.  However I can detect no I2C signals on the E2 connector nor any voltage changes on DIO1 -7_N or DIO1 -7 _P.  There must be something I missed in this somewhat complex strategy  :-)

Regards

Bob GW3LTX
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

bobltx
In reply to this post by DJ6OA
Hi Rainer,

In your post you say "Presently, all SDR inclusive the RED PITAYA run on my favourite QUISK-program in view of the easy change of RADIOs therein."  Are you able to switch filters via E1 or E2 connector from Quisk?

You are quite right when you say the the supplements of DC2PD are already contained in the latest version of sdr-transceiver-hpsdr, but it seems Quisk doesn't send the data to the ports to control filters. I am willing to have a go at programming in Python, as suggested by Jim, but I need more info on the "layout" of the Red Pitaya to talk to the connectors.

By the way I have a PCA9555 board on its way from China.  

73 de Bob
GW3LTX
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

DJ6OA
Hi Bob.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I am out of home for some time on business matters.

So far, I have placed no much efforts in automatically switching filters on the RedPitaya from Quisk, but use HPSDR in a VirtualBox "cage" for WINDOWS 7 for test purposes and to have a look how HPSDR  controls switching filters on the RedPitaya.

My first impression is that filter switching by Quisk will not only involve changes in or additions to the python code of Quisk, but also to the SDR-Transceiver-HPSDR, and that signal processing and control of the periphery should be kept separate as far as possible.

As said before, I have a number of different SDR transceivers so that I would prefer to perform filter switching by tapping part of the TX signal of all of these transceivers, measuring the frequency thereof, then setting the filter switches via BCD and a demultiplexer accordingly, and finally operating the RX/TX relays in the PA in a time controlled manner  if the TX signal persists. The filters and PA are in a separate box and may be used with any of my SDR transceivers and Quisk. This seems to be reasonable since after Softrock, UHF-SDR, Peaberry and RedPitaya, by now already the next one, R2T2, is knocking on the door. The development chain is quite fast, so that re-using part of the peripheral equipment will be mandatory.

Presently, I am trying my luck with an Arduino Uno in a screened and galvanically separated box (DC-DC converter, RF signal attenuator/transformer and optocouplers for BCD and PA control), and the first results are promising.

In spite of this, I am highly interested in your efforts to adapt Quisk and/or SDR-Transceiver-HPSDR and look forward to see your results. Perhaps you may have a look at the hiqsdr and n2sdr hardware examples in the quisk-4.1.1 directory and at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyRedPitaya/1.0 of the Python Software Foundation.

73 de Rainer
DJ6OA

 

   
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

bobltx
Hi Rainer,

Thanks for your reply, most interesting.

I was digging around in my old project box and came across a "Pic-A-Switch" board I made a few years ago.  This was a project by Peter G3XJP and it 'sniffed' the RF, measured the frequency using a Pic (16F84) and then switched a ULN2803A to one of 8 outputs depending on the frequency.  This is a nice simple approach to switching filters and doesn't require anything as elaborate as Arduino.  The info is available on Yahoo Groups under 'PicProjects', and as I have one already made I am going to try it out for switching my filter bank.

However I shall still be trying to do it the software way but getting to grips with Python is going to take time.

I will keep you posted on any progress.

73 de Bob
GW3LTX
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

bobltx
In reply to this post by ahlstromjc
Hello Jim,

Thanks to Pavel's new SDR image file for the Red Pitaya I now have band pass switching working using the Hermes Ctrl
pins 1 - 4 on connector E1 (DIO4_P - DIO7_P.  The output is decoded with a CMOS 4028B driving two ULN2803 Darlington
drivers switching the relays.

Also available on connector E1 are two pins to control 10dB and 20dB attenuators (DIO2_P and DIO3_P), would it be possible
to change the RFGain button into a switched attenuator button to control these pins?  Three 'controls' would be needed 0dB,10dB and 20dB.  I have searched the Quisk files for a clue but can find no way to even activate the RFGain button, but then I'm more of a hardware man than  a software guy :-)

Any ideas?

73 de Bob GW3LTX
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

ahlstromjc
Administrator
Hello Bob,

The RF gain button is controlled from your hardware file.  The labels are in Hardware.rf_gain_labels, and you must have a method Hardware.OnButtonRfGain() to turn on the button.  You could set the proper bits in this method.  Look at n2adr/quisk_hardware.py for an example.  I guess you are using the J16 connector, since that is where the band data is located.  Look at ChangeBand() in your hardware file.

Jim
N2ADR
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

bobltx
Thanks Jim,

I'll have a search through the files and see what I can do.

Just had some good reports using Quisk and the Red Pitaya SDR, so it all works very well.

73 de Bob
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

bobltx
In reply to this post by ahlstromjc
Hi Jim,

Sorry for the long delay but the heart decided it was time I spent a few weeks in hospital.  :-)

Following your advice I have now modified my hardware file for the Red Pitaya SDR and
following some additional hardware changes to the  project now have fully functioning
attenuator control.



Very happy with the results, many thanks for all your good work.

I am adding a web page to my site showing the Red Pitaya project for those who are interested,
it is a work in progress at present.

http//: www.gw3ltx.me.uk

Bob
GW3LTX
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

ahlstromjc
Administrator
In reply to this post by bobltx
The Red Pitaya uses the Hermes firmware protocol, and Quisk can send band info to the Pitaya with the Hermes Protocol.  But using the band data depends on Red Pitaya firmware.

Jim
N2ADR
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

on7yi
Hello,

I just received my red-pitaya and was quickly operational with QUISK, thanks to John and Pavel.  I can transmit and receive easily, no issue. Next step is to add the band-pas and low pass filters that I bought on ebay from 60dbmcom. The two filters I bought are  controlled by a 4 bit CMOS parallel interface.  I understand how to interface the red-pitaya to my band-pass filters and low pass filters (physically), but the part that miss (even conceptually) is what data should  I configure in QUISK in the "Band" tab under "Configuration menu" for ma specific "Radio". In other words, what is the code that I should put so that when I switch band, QUISK enables the right bit pattern on the GPIO output pins of the red-pitaya (Hermes outputs 1 -4) so that MY band-pass AND low filters are is switched by the red-pitaya  to the right bands. I have the truth table for the CMOS interface of both filters but what I miss is how to configure QUISK. The bit pattern/truth table is provided below.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks
Regards
Peter

   




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

bobltx
Hi Peter,

If you take a look at my website (www.gw3ltx.me.uk) I have just uploaded my quisk files
for switching the BPFs. The PDF file shows which pins I used and the modified 'band'
info.
Hope that helps.

73 de Bob

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 16:38:51 -0700 (MST)
"on7yi [via quisk]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Hello,
>
> I just received my red-pitaya and was quickly operational with QUISK, thanks
> to John and Pavel.  I can transmit and receive easily, no issue. Next step
> is to add the band-pas and low pass filters that I bought on ebay from
> 60dbmcom. The two filters I bought are  controlled by a 4 bit CMOS parallel
> interface.  I understand how to interface the red-pitaya to my band-pass
> filters and low pass filters (physically), but the part that miss (even
> conceptually) is what data should  I configure in QUISK in the "Band" tab
> under "Configuration menu" for ma specific "Radio". In other words, what is
> the code that I should put so that when I switch band, QUISK enables the
> right bit pattern on the GPIO output pins of the red-pitaya (Hermes outputs
> 1 -4) so that MY band-pass AND low filters are is switched by the red-pitaya
> to the right bands. I have the truth table for the CMOS interface of both
> filters but what I miss is how to configure QUISK. The bit pattern/truth
> table is provided below.
>
> I hope someone can help me.
>
> Thanks
> Regards
> Peter
>
>    
> <http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/file/n4024260/Screenshot_from_2017-09-16_15-06-56.png>
>
>
> <http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/file/n4024260/Screenshot_from_2017-09-16_14-21-11.png>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
> http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Low-Pass-Band-Pass-Filter-switching-tp4024042p4024260.html
>
> To unsubscribe from Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching., visit
Robert Savage <
[hidden email]>
http://www.gw3ltx.me.uk
Sent using Linux Mint 17.3 (Rosa)  - 64bit
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

on7yi
Dear Bob,

Thank you so much for your reply, it will make me save so much time!!!. I had  a quick look from work on your pdf file and I think I should be able to re-use your design for my own application. It will probably require some adaptations though.

I am not switching relays but I am interfacing  a CMOS interfaces. The filters I use provide a 4 bit CMOS interface. So I guess (?) that  I do not need to use the ULN2803, and that I can interface directly the output of the 4008 to the 4 bit CMOS interface of the filter, right ?

Sorry for my basic questions but it has been a long time I did not play around with electronics.
I am sure I will have more questions when I will have a chance to analyze the QUISK config file.

73!
Peter
ON7YI



On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:46 AM, bobltx [via quisk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Peter,

If you take a look at my website (www.gw3ltx.me.uk) I have just uploaded my quisk files
for switching the BPFs. The PDF file shows which pins I used and the modified 'band'
info.
Hope that helps.

73 de Bob

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 16:38:51 -0700 (MST)
"on7yi [via quisk]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Hello,
>
> I just received my red-pitaya and was quickly operational with QUISK, thanks
> to John and Pavel.  I can transmit and receive easily, no issue. Next step
> is to add the band-pas and low pass filters that I bought on ebay from
> 60dbmcom. The two filters I bought are  controlled by a 4 bit CMOS parallel
> interface.  I understand how to interface the red-pitaya to my band-pass
> filters and low pass filters (physically), but the part that miss (even
> conceptually) is what data should  I configure in QUISK in the "Band" tab
> under "Configuration menu" for ma specific "Radio". In other words, what is
> the code that I should put so that when I switch band, QUISK enables the
> right bit pattern on the GPIO output pins of the red-pitaya (Hermes outputs
> 1 -4) so that MY band-pass AND low filters are is switched by the red-pitaya
> to the right bands. I have the truth table for the CMOS interface of both
> filters but what I miss is how to configure QUISK. The bit pattern/truth
> table is provided below.
>
> I hope someone can help me.
>
> Thanks
> Regards
> Peter
>
>    
> <http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/file/n4024260/Screenshot_from_2017-09-16_15-06-56.png>
>
>
> <http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/file/n4024260/Screenshot_from_2017-09-16_14-21-11.png>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
> http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Low-Pass-Band-Pass-Filter-switching-tp4024042p4024260.html
>
> To unsubscribe from Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching., visit
Robert Savage <[hidden email]>
http://www.gw3ltx.me.uk
Sent using Linux Mint 17.3 (Rosa)  - 64bit



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Low-Pass-Band-Pass-Filter-switching-tp4024042p4024261.html
To unsubscribe from Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching., click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

DJ6OA
Hello Peter,

You will find the answer to your and other questions in the Red Pitaya Notes of Pavel Demin regarding the SDR transceiver compatible with HPSDR.

He proposes to use QUISK with the hermes/quisk_conf.py configuration file

In fact.you may use your version of the .quisk_conf.py in your home directory (adapted to your needs) and simply add the line for the Hermes_BandDict like the one set out below:

Hermes_BandDict = {'160':0b0001, '80':0b0010, '40':0b0011, '30':0b0100, '20':0b0101, '17':0b0110, '15':0b0111, '12':0b1000, '10':0b1001}

This is for a predecessor of your filter board used by me having a pre-amplifier but no decoder on board. '0b0000' is used for bypassing the filter.

You may have to adapt the relationship between the bands and the codes used by your filter board.

For 'peace of mind', I have added a ULN2803 directly to the output pins DIO0P to DIO7P of connector E1 of the Red Pitaya and the 'outside world' - filters and so on.

73, Rainer DJ6OA
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

on7yi
Thanks Rainer
Much appreciated ! I will find my way now !
Regards
Peter
73
Peter, on7yi

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 8:04 PM, DJ6OA [via quisk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Peter,

You will find the answer to your and other questions in the Red Pitaya Notes of Pavel Demin regarding the SDR transceiver compatible with HPSDR.

He proposes to use QUISK with the hermes/quisk_conf.py configuration file

In fact.you may use your version of the .quisk_conf.py in your home directory (adapted to your needs) and simply add the line for the Hermes_BandDict like the one set out below:

Hermes_BandDict = {'160':0b0001, '80':0b0010, '40':0b0011, '30':0b0100, '20':0b0101, '17':0b0110, '15':0b0111, '12':0b1000, '10':0b1001}

This is for a predecessor of your filter board used by me having a pre-amplifier but no decoder on board. '0b0000' is used for bypassing the filter.

You may have to adapt the relationship between the bands and the codes used by your filter board.

For 'peace of mind', I have added a ULN2803 directly to the output pins DIO0P to DIO7P of connector E1 of the Red Pitaya and the 'outside world' - filters and so on.

73, Rainer DJ6OA


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Low-Pass-Band-Pass-Filter-switching-tp4024042p4024263.html
To unsubscribe from Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching., click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching.

on7yi
In reply to this post by DJ6OA
Hi Rainer,

Do you know if it is possible to configure Quisk to use different binary codes in Transmit and receiving modes ?

My 60dbmcom bandpass  filter uses a different addresing scheme than my 60dbmcom low pass one. From what I understand,  I think these two different addressing conventions were inherited from the initial Alex design (though  I fail to understand the rationale behind that choice ).

I know for sure that with PowerSDR you can configure different codes/addresses in transmit and receive modes . But what about Quisk ? Unless I am mistaken , it is not possible with Quisk ? In other words, I will have to come-up with simple logical circuit to convert the 4 bit address of the bandpass filter so it matches the one of the low pass one (or the other way around ) ?  I already know how I could do it. However before I do it and throw hardware on the bench, I would like to verify thar there is no smarter way of resolving the problem by adjusting some parameter in Quisk ? 

Thanks 
Regards 
73. Peter 
on7yi

Le sam. 23 sept. 2017 à 02:03, Peter Ide-Kostic <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Thanks Rainer
Much appreciated ! I will find my way now !
Regards
Peter
73
Peter, on7yi

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 8:04 PM, DJ6OA [via quisk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Peter,

You will find the answer to your and other questions in the Red Pitaya Notes of Pavel Demin regarding the SDR transceiver compatible with HPSDR.

He proposes to use QUISK with the hermes/quisk_conf.py configuration file

In fact.you may use your version of the .quisk_conf.py in your home directory (adapted to your needs) and simply add the line for the Hermes_BandDict like the one set out below:

Hermes_BandDict = {'160':0b0001, '80':0b0010, '40':0b0011, '30':0b0100, '20':0b0101, '17':0b0110, '15':0b0111, '12':0b1000, '10':0b1001}

This is for a predecessor of your filter board used by me having a pre-amplifier but no decoder on board. '0b0000' is used for bypassing the filter.

You may have to adapt the relationship between the bands and the codes used by your filter board.

For 'peace of mind', I have added a ULN2803 directly to the output pins DIO0P to DIO7P of connector E1 of the Red Pitaya and the 'outside world' - filters and so on.

73, Rainer DJ6OA


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Low-Pass-Band-Pass-Filter-switching-tp4024042p4024263.html
To unsubscribe from Low Pass/Band Pass Filter switching., click here.
NAML

12