New Quisk Versions

12

New Quisk Versions

Quisk Version 3.4.13 December 2010

I decreased the microphone speech processing preemphasis and clipping.
I added a config parameter key_poll_msec to control the SoftRock USB
poll for key status.  I improved the config screen.  Alsa names can
now be strings like "alsa:NVidia" that match the card/device info.
Thanks to Joachim Schneider, DB6QS, I made some improvements to SoftRock
USB control.

Re: New Quisk Versions

My power is still out from a recent ice storm.  I published the new version of Quisk 3.5.8 on pypi.python.org, but I could not upload the Windows version.  Both versions of 3.5.8 are available from my Quisk page james.ahlstrom.name/quisk.

Re: New Quisk Versions

Quisk Version 3.5.9 November 2011

This fixes a bug in the Windows version that occurs when using SoftRock hardware with a microphone for transmit.  There is no reason to upgrade if you use Linux, or if you use the HiQSDR hardware.

Re: New Quisk Versions

magun
Thanks for the bug fix. I am away for 2 weeks. I will have a go with he windows version after my return.

Andreas
HB9EHI

Re: New Quisk Versions

magun
The windows Versions runs now beautifully also in TX mode. Thanks again.

Andreas

Re: New Quisk Versions

From CHANGELOG.txt:

Quisk Version 3.5.10 December 2011
==================================
Lucian Langa contributed a patch to return the primary display size for dual
displays.  If you decreased graph_width for dual displays you will need to change it
back to 0.80 (or similar).

I improved the transmit audio filters to reduce spurs and decrease processing time.
The mic sample rate can now be either 48000 (as before) or 8000 samples per second.
The plan is to make Quisk run effectively on small laptops or even tablet computers.
Remember to adjust mic_clip and mic_preemphasis in your config file.

Re: New Quisk Versions

Quisk Version 3.5.11 December 2011

I fixed a bug that caused the microphone to freeze when sending the mic sound to the SoftRock for transmit.

Re: New Quisk Versions

Quisk Version 3.5.12 February 2012

There are no changes to Quisk, but this version includes the new Quisk VNA program
that enables you to use my original transceiver hardware and the newer HiQSDR
hardware as a vector network analyzer.  Use "python quisk_vna.py" to run it.

Re: New Quisk Versions

Quisk Version 3.6.0 March 2012

There are no new user features in this release, and no changes to the HiQSDR code.
This version adds a new feature for those writing C-language extension modules
that need to access C code from the _quisk extension module.  Examples are the
SDR-IQ and the Charleston extension modules.  This feature was requested by
Maitland Bottoms, AA4HS, and he also provided patches.

Previously, symbols from the _quisk module were linked to sub-modules with the
C linker.  Now _quisk exports symbols using the Python CObject or Capsule
interface.  The documentation is in import_quisk_api.c.  Only minimal changes
to extension modules are required, as most changes are in _quisk.  The linker
method still works on Linux, but the new interface is highly recommended.

Re: New Quisk Versions

Quisk Version 3.6.1 April 2012

There is a new "DGTL" mode to send Quisk audio to an external digital mode program
such as Fldigi.  Read the file quisk_conf_defaults.py to see the new config file
options available.  Use the Help button for basic information, and see docs.html.

I changed the 60 meter operation to agree with new FCC rules (for the USA).  See
the configuration file for items to control 60 meters.

Re: New Quisk Versions

Quisk version 3.6.2 May 2012.

Please go to my http://james.ahlstrom.name/quisk page to download the latest version of Quisk.  It is no longer available on pypi.python.org.

I added a display of the filter bandwidth to the graph screen.  This is based on code
provided by Terry Fox, WB4JFI.  Thanks Terry!  See the file quisk_conf_defaults.py.

I added detailed information on each sound device to the config screen.  The Test
button now generates AM and FM as well as CW and SSB.

The receive filtering has been re-written to improve the shape of the filters and to
reduce the CPU time.  Quisk now runs on my fan-less Shuttle Atom machine at speeds
up to 480 ksps.  The CW filters are particularly nice.

Re: New Quisk Versions

Quisk Version 3.6.3 July 2012

Thanks to Steve Murphy, KB8RWQ for the patch adding additional color control, and for his
dark color design.

I am using Quisk with my AR8600 receiver 10.7 MHz IF output as a general coverage receiver.
My config file is n2adr/quisk_conf_8600.py.  This covers the VHF and UHF bands, and so
I needed to add some FM repeater and scanner features.  I added a Squelch button for FM.
Right-click the button to adjust the squelch level.  The Squech and AGC buttons
are combined to save space.  The new configuration file items freq_spacing and
freq_base are used to round frequencies to channel spacings on VHF.  There is scanner
logic in my config file.  You should look at this if you use Quisk with a transverter for
the higher bands.  With my hardware it is able to scan known repeater frequencies jumping
across bands as it scans.  The 960 ksps rate of Quisk and HiQSDR is very useful at VHF
and higher.

I added tabs to the config screen, and cleaned it up.

I added a record and playback button.  Press Record to start a new recording of radio
sound.  The maximum recording length is set in the config file, and the default is 15
seconds.  After this limit, the most recent 15 seconds of sound is retained.  To play
the recorded sound, press the Play button.  If you are transmitting, the recorded sound
is transmitted provided the microphone and playback sample rate are both 48000 sps.  The
transmitted recorded sound is not subjected to the usual audio processing.  That means
that you can play another ham's audio back and give him/her a good idea of how it sounds.

Re: New Quisk Versions

Quisk Version 3.6.4 September 2012

I added Hamlib control to Quisk.  Set your digital or logging program to rig2,
device localhost:4575.  See the Help and docs.html.  This is used to control Quisk
from other digital mode programs such as WSPR.

I added the Y scale to the graph above the waterfall.

Quisk can now record the speaker audio and the digital samples to a WAV file.  Set the
file names using the config screen, and then use the "FileRec" button to start recording.
Press the Help button for more information.

Re: New Quisk Versions

Quisk Version 3.6.5 November 2012

I added a waterfall method ChangeRfGain() that enables you to keep the waterfall colors constant
for changes in the RF gain control.  See my n2adr directory for an example of how to use it.

I added the ability to connect Quisk to the hamlib rigctld daemon.  This enables Quisk to work
with any rig compatible with hamlib.  For an example, see quisk_conf_kx3.py.  Push the Help button
for documentation.

I added a feature to measure the frequency of a continuous RF signal.  Right click the S-meter window
to turn it on.  Push the Help button for documentation.  It is meant for precise frequency measurement
such as would be needed to characterize crystals for a filter.  Precision is 0.01 Hertz.

Re: New Quisk Versions

zl2tod
Hi James et al,

I've downloaded quisk-3.6.5.tar.gz and unpacked it.

$ python quisk.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "quisk.py", line 29, in <module>
    import _quisk as QS
ImportError: ./_quisk.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

Linux terrorbite 3.0.0-29-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 4 12:16:46 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I've had a fairly good look around for a solution but to no avail.

Any clues?

Thanks
Mark

Re: New Quisk Versions

The _quisk.so I ship is for 32-bit Linux.  You must have 64-bit Linux.  So you must recompile by typing "make".

Re: New Quisk Versions

zl2tod
Thanks Jim,

That worked nicely.

Cheers
Mark

Re: New Quisk Versions

Quisk Version 3.6.6 January 2013

I corrected the frequency measurement feature so it works with RIT.  This feature was successfully
verified in the November 2012 ARRL Frequency Measurement Test.  I fixed a bug in Fldigi frequency
control thanks to Hubert, DG7MGY.

The config file has a new parameter mouse_wheelmod to control the mouse wheel
sensitivity.  Thanks to DG7MGY for the patch.

I changed the digital filters so they have a bandwidth up to 20 ksps.  This accommodates more digital modes.
There are now three digital modes: DGT-U and DGT-L decode the audio as upper or lower sideband.  The old
DGTL mode is now DGT-U.  The mode DGT-IQ does not decode.  It sends the I/Q samples directly to the
sound card device.  It is interesting to listen to the DGT-IQ signal, as it provides binaural reception.
Also, the PTT can be controlled by either Quisk or Fldigi, not just by Quisk.

There is a new tab on the Config screen where you can enter the frequencies and modes for favorite
stations.  This can be used to list and tune to repeaters or nets.  The page works like a spreadsheet.
Fill in the rows with an arbitrary name, the frequency as integer Hertz or decimal megahertz, the mode and
an arbitrary description.  Right click on the left row label for a popup menu that allows you tune to that
row.  Thanks to Brian KF7WPK for suggesting this feature.

Jim N2ADR

Re: New Quisk Versions

Quisk Version 3.6.7 February 2013

I added a check for the correct wx version.  Thanks to Mario, DH5YM.  Selecting "Config/Favorites/TuneTo"
now changes to the configured default_screen instead of the waterfall screen.  Thanks to Detlef, DL7IY.
The mute button and volume now controls only the radio sound, and not the digital output.  Thanks to Mario, DH5YM.

Previously, Fldigi XML-RPC control only worked if a digital mode was selected and a digital audio device
was specified.  Now it is always active unless you turn it off in the config file.

The transmit power level and the digital transmit power level can now be adjusted on the config screen.  The
levels are a percentage of tx_level as set in the config file.  The meaning of digital_tx_level was changed.
It is now the maximum percentage value for the slider.  Thanks to Hubert, DG7MGY.

There is a new feature to save frequencies and return to them.  When you have tuned in a signal of interest,
press the "Save" button to save the frequency, band and mode.  Repeat for more signals.  Now press "Next",
to switch to the next saved signal, and press "Next" repeatedly to cycle through the list.  To delete a
saved signal, first tune to it with "Next" and then press "Delete".  If you save a large number of signals,
right click the "Next" button, and you will get a popup menu so you can jump directly to a station.  Thanks
to Detlef, DL7IY.

I had to renumber the columns for the Quisk buttons. That won't matter to you unless you add your own widgets
to the bottom of the screen by importing your own quisk_widgets.  Then you will need to renumber your columns.
See n2adr/quisk_widgets.py for an example.

Re: New Quisk Versions

mancymonek
Hi

3.6.7 version working fine.
Almost of all functions working great , unless i am using it on Vertical monitor ( portrait mode) .
Because i am using this kind of mode for operation with Quisk , Orbitron and some other software , the question is :
how to make 3.6.7 work as good as 3.6.6 with Vertical mode monitor.
Main problem is with locating of buttons and other window stuff , buttons are with different size , especially DOWN and UP , 30 meters , 20 meters too , sliders are behind DGT-L and IMD columns.
Is there any chance for fix.

Regards
SQ2RBY
12