Over my head?

davedbf
Greetings I am an aging ham from the AM days who is having fun again with SDR. Having built a Softrock RXTX and after finally getting it to work with Fldigi and WSjtx I saw a post about Quisk. I have to admit I know nothing about Python or programing in general but I have the program running and can observe the graph and listen to CW on the one band. I read where there is a preprogrammed file to get started but I don't think I have the conf_defaults.py file. I have the view conf defaults and edit conf files, are these the same? Not sure what to do  from this point. Thanks for any input/ Dave W9DBF

Re: Over my head?

Jean
Hi, Dave !
I am so an aging ham and I can't get quisk working on my linux Platform (pcDuino with Ubuntu-linux v.12-07, python 2.7 ----I tried install quisk v3.6.20)0. I read you the program running. So, I would like to know  what is your machine (linux and quisk version ; where do you get instructions to install quisk?).
Thanks for informations//////////Jean, FR5AT.

Re: Over my head?

DJ6OA
Hi Dave and Jean,

There may be a difference between us in that I am not an 'aging' ham but an 'aged' ham, but I feel that Quisk is one of the most convenient and sophisticated programs to start with SDR and to learn and to enhance your understanding of it.

The only requirement is as usual, take the time to 'RTFM'.

If you are using Ubuntu, never download it from the Ubuntu repositories (which are buggy and mostly outdated), but directly from the home page of ' james.ahlstrom.name/quisk/'.

If you follow the 'Documentation for Quisk' by the letter (to be found either on the Internet as 'Documentation for Quisk' or if you are already have been successful in un-tarring the last version of Quisk into your the quisk-xxx' (presently quisk-3.6.20) subdirectory of your home directory under 'docs.html'), you are on the safe side.

After un-tarring the program, a simple 'make' within the quisk-xxx subdirectory resulting therefrom either clearly indicates what points you have overlooked in 'RTHM' or you successfully end up with  a 'quisk' script which may be started with 'python ./quisk'. Push the 'Config' button and then the 'sound' button to glean the required sound settings for your computer.

The last step then will be to go the 'softrock' subdirectory, find the sample config file for your radio and copy it as '.quisk_config.py' into your home directory (not into the quisk subdirectory, and don't forget the leading '.'. You then only have to adapt the '.quisk_config.py' file copied to your home directory to the sound settings gleaned before by pushing the 'Config' and 'Sound' buttons.

If you then should still have problems, come back to this page with specific questions indicating the information you get after starting 'python ./quisk program' and pushing the 'Config' button and then again the 'Config' as well as the 'Sound' buttons.

Good luck

Rainer, DJ6OA

Re: Over my head?

Buford T. Justice
If you just want to listen and not to take anything away from Quisk, GQRX may be a better option.  If running a version of Ubuntu, add their ppa using Terminal and install it from there using these commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gqrx/releases
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gqrx
sudo apt-get upgrade

Now close Terminal.  You should be able to click on Applications > Accessories > Gqrx to open GQRX.

You might have to blacklist your SDR.  I had to for my RTL-SDR by opening /etc/modprobe.d as Administrator and creating a new text file there called no-rtl.conf with these 3 lines in it:

blacklist dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
blacklist rtl2832
blacklist rtl2830

Reboot computer.

Re: Over my head?

kc7noa
Davedbf ... did you get anywhere with Quisk ...

were you running windows or Linux ?

Re: Over my head?

kc7noa
I found a plugin of sorts to use a RTL2832 ... its used on an older version of Quisk now .. but might still be useful ...

https://github.com/roseengineering/quisk.rtlsdr.plugin