Peaberry V2 no sound

kk4tye
I'm have a tough time getting any sound out of quisk
I am using Ubuntu 14.04 on a laptop, I know the Peaberry works on my Windows box. I have jackd installed and I can play mp3's on my laptop.

On my config/status page my interruppts are fluctuating but my latency is not.

I sometimes get open playback device hw:Intel,0 (Device or Resource Busy) errors

My .quisk_conf.py content
# This is the config file from my shack, which controls various hardware.
# The files to control my Peaberry V2 SDR for the improved version
#
from softrock import hardware_usb_new as quisk_hardware
from softrock import widgets_tx as quisk_widgets

si570_direct_control = True
si570_xtal_freq = 114285000
button_font_size=12

usb_vendor_id = 0x16c0
usb_product_id = 0x05dc

# from http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Quisk-with-Softrock-RXTX-v6-3-td3971689.html
data_poll_usec = 10000    #default is 5000
latency_millisec = 150        #default is 150

sample_rate = 96000
playback_rate = 48000
name_of_sound_capt = "hw:SDR,0"
name_of_sound_play = "hw:Intel,0"

channel_i = 1
channel_q = 0

digital_xmlrpc_url = "http://localhost:7362" # URL for control by XML-RPC
digital_input_name = "hw:Loopback,0"    # device name for transmit audio
digital_output_name = "hw:Loopback,0"    # device name for received audio
hamlib_port = 4575  # Standard port for Quisk control.  Set the port in Hamlib to 4575 too.

# Microphone capture
microphone_name = "hw:Intel,0" # Name of microphone capture device
name_of_mic_play = "hw:SDR,0" # Name of play device if CW or mic I/Q is sent to a sound card  REQUIRED FOR TRANSMIT
mic_sample_rate = 48000
mic_playback_rate = 96000 # Playback rate must be a multiple 1, 2, ... of mic_sample_rate
mic_out_volume = 1.0 # Transmit sound output volume (after all processing) as a fraction 0.0 to 1.0

mic_channel_I = 0                       # Soundcard index of mic capture audio channel
mic_channel_Q = 0                       # Soundcard index of ignored capture channel
mic_play_chan_I = 1                     # Soundcard index of mic I play channel
mic_play_chan_Q = 0                     # Soundcard index of mic Q play channel.

graph_refresh = 10
waterfall_scroll_mode=0

Any help would be much appriciated
Thanks
73/KK4TYE
73
Mike/KK4TYE

Re: Peaberry V2 no sound

Hello,

I think the problem is your ALSA device names.  The "hw" names must be official ALSA names like "hw:0,0".  To use string names, you need to use "alsa:" as a prefix.  For example, "alsa:Peaberry".  Please see quisk/docs.html, "Sound Cards", "Linux Names".  Note that the string search is case-sensitive.

Re: Peaberry V2 no sound

kk4tye
Thanks,
I will try that, quick question should my play microphone sound be set to my Peaberry or to my USB Headset/Microphone?
73
Mike/KK4TYE

Re: Peaberry V2 no sound

kk4tye
I modified my settings as suggested, but got the same error. However if I dont start Jackd I get some activity but no sound

Why does Quisk need Jackd?
73
Mike/KK4TYE

Re: Peaberry V2 no sound

kk4tye
So here is my .quisk_conf file
# This is the config file from my shack, which controls various hardware.
# The files to control my Peaberry V2 SDR for the improved version
#
from softrock import hardware_usb_new as quisk_hardware
from softrock import widgets_tx as quisk_widgets

si570_direct_control = True
si570_xtal_freq = 114285000
button_font_size=12

usb_vendor_id = 0x16c0
usb_product_id = 0x05dc

# from http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Quisk-with-Softrock-RXTX-v6-3-td3971689.html
data_poll_usec = 10000    #default is 5000
latency_millisec = 150        #default is 150

sample_rate = 96000
playback_rate = 48000
name_of_sound_capt = "hw:2,0"
name_of_sound_play = "hw:0,0"
#name_of_sound_play = "pulse:alsa_output.pci"
channel_i = 1
channel_q = 0

digital_xmlrpc_url = "http://localhost:7362" # URL for control by XML-RPC
digital_input_name = "hw:4,0"    # device name for transmit audio
digital_output_name = "hw:4,1"    # device name for received audio
hamlib_port = 4575  # Standard port for Quisk control.  Set the port in Hamlib to 4575 too.

# Microphone capture
microphone_name = "hw:0,0" # Name of microphone capture device
#microphone_name = "pulse:alsa_output.pci"
name_of_mic_play = "hw:2,0" # Name of play device if CW or mic I/Q is sent to a sound card  REQUIRED FOR TRANSMIT
mic_sample_rate = 48000
mic_playback_rate = 96000 # Playback rate must be a multiple 1, 2, ... of mic_sample_rate
mic_out_volume = 1.0 # Transmit sound output volume (after all processing) as a fraction 0.0 to 1.0

mic_channel_I = 0                       # Soundcard index of mic capture audio channel
mic_channel_Q = 0                       # Soundcard index of ignored capture channel
mic_play_chan_I = 1                     # Soundcard index of mic I play channel
mic_play_chan_Q = 0                     # Soundcard index of mic Q play channel.

graph_refresh = 10
waterfall_scroll_mode=0

####
And my .asoundrc
# Jack Playback
pcm.jack {
    type jack
    playback_ports {
        0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
        1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
    }
    capture_ports {
        0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
        1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
    }
}

# playback PCM device: using loopback subdevice 0,0
pcm.amix {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 219345
  slave.pcm "hw:Loopback,0,0"
}

# capture PCM device: using loopback subdevice 0,1
pcm.asnoop {
  type dsnoop
  ipc_key 219346
  slave.pcm "hw:Loopback,0,1"
}

# duplex device combining our PCM devices defined above
pcm.aduplex {
  type asym
  playback.pcm "amix"
  capture.pcm "asnoop"
}

# ------------------------------------------------------
# for jack alsa_in and alsa_out: looped-back signal at other ends
pcm.ploop {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "hw:Loopback,1,1"
}

pcm.cloop {
  type dsnoop
  ipc_key 219348
  slave.pcm "hw:Loopback,1,0"
}
# ------------------------------------------------------
# Bidings merge devices into a single pseudo-device
pcm.merge {
    type multi;
    slaves.a.pcm hw:0
    slaves.a.channels 2;
    slaves.b.pcm hw:2
    slaves.b.channels 2;
    bindings.0.slave a;
    bindings.0.channel 0;
    bindings.1.slave b;
    bindings.1.channel 0;
    bindings.2.slave a;
    bindings.2.channel 1;
    bindings.3.slave b;
    bindings.3.channel 1;
}
ctl.merge {
    type hw
    card 0
}

# ------------------------------------------------------
# default device

pcm.!default {
  type plug
#  slave.pcm "aduplex"
  slave { pcm "jack" }
}

# pcm.!default {
#      type hw
#      card 1
#      device 0
# }

ctl.mixer0 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

Seems like jack and pulsaudio are not playing together, any ideas
73
Mike/KK4TYE

Re: Peaberry V2 no sound

ak4pf
I'd guess jack is preventing quisk from opening the Intel,0.  Unless you really need it, I'd try removing all things jack until you get it to work.  You might want to purge and reinstall alsa unless you have a copy of the original configs.  Also try using plughw: instead of hw: in case something is using the device in an incompatible sample rate or format.  And make sure you have closed any mixers, etc which may be using the sound card.

Re: Peaberry V2 no sound

kk4tye
Still no joy, I completly removed Jackd2 and change to pulghw:0,0. I get exactly what the documentations says "If Quisk appears to run but you get no sound input or output, you may be having trouble with your settings. Start Quisk and look at the graph. You should get a moving line display. Look at the Config screen. Interrupts should be increasing and latencies should fluctuate. If all this looks normal, but you get no sound output, or you get only white noise output, then you may need to change your settings with a mixer program. "

All my mixer settings are at 100%

73
Mike/KK4TYE

Re: Peaberry V2 no sound

DJ6OA
Hello Mike,

Apart from the fact that your configuration of UBUNTU 14.02 and QUISK seems to be rather complicated, how do you expect sound on tuning to 14,211.5 Mc/s when there is no signal at that frequency. I take it that you will hear a hissing noise if you place all playback volume sliders at maximum. Please see my ".quisk_config_v2.py". There is no need no need for a ".asoundrc" file:

from softrock import hardware_usb as quisk_hardware
# from softrock import hardware_usb_new as quisk_hardware
from softrock import widgets_tx as quisk_widgets

si570_direct_control = True
# si570_xtal_freq = 114344248
si570_xtal_freq = 114285000
usb_vendor_id = 0x16c0
usb_product_id = 0x05dc

# key_poll_msec =400
button_font_size = 8 #For EeePC HA1005

sample_rate = 96000
playback_rate = 96000
latency_millisecs = 250

name_of_sound_capt = "hw:3,0"
name_of_sound_play = "plughw:0,0"
channel_i = 1
channel_q = 0

# For Peaberry V2:
# Microphone capture:
mic_sample_rate = 48000 # Microphone capture sample rate in Hertz, should be 48000, can be 8000
microphone_name = "hw:0,0" # Name of microphone capture device
mic_channel_I = 1 # Soundcard index of mic capture audio channel
mic_channel_Q = 0 # Soundcard index of ignored capture channel

# Microphone samples sent to soundcard:
name_of_mic_play = "plughw:3,0" # Name of play device if CW or mic I/Q is sent to a sound card
mic_playback_rate = 96000 # Playback rate must be a multiple 1, 2, ... of mic_sample_rate
mic_play_chan_I = 1 # Soundcard index of mic I play channel
mic_play_chan_Q = 0 # Soundcard index of mic Q play channel
mic_out_volume = 1.0 # Transmit sound output volume (after all processing) as a fraction 0.0 to 1.0

digital_input_name = "hw:1,0"
digital_output_name= digital_input_name

QUISK on UBUNTU 14.02 is quite straightforward, You only have to add the rule for softrock in /udev/rules.d/ (for Peaberry, it us helpful to add the usb serial number of 16 characters of the Peaberry which may be seen with dmesg, Peaberry V1 and V2 have different serial numbers)).

You may wish to have your sound devices in better ordered way by changing the last line of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base-config to "options snd-usb-audio  index=3,4". The result may be seen from the screen shots made after unplugging my  Peaberry V2 from my car and inserting a test signal from a SI570-test generator with 60dB attenuuation since I have no antenna in my room. If the test signal is switched off, there is also no sound anymore (understandably).

For the tests made on my EeePC 1005HA laptop, I have started also the alsa loop device and finally plugged in a Logitech headset showing up as "hw:4,0", both without any problems. VOX is also running fine with the headset.

Good luck and 73's

Rainer, DJ6OA

Re: Peaberry V2 no sound

ak4pf

What you see is exactly what I'd expect from my peaberry without the antenna attached.  Open a console and run alsamixer, use f6 to select your output card and make sure nothing is muted.

On May 15, 2015 18:51, "kk4tye [via quisk]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Still no joy, I completly removed Jackd2 and change to pulghw:0,0. I get exactly what the documentations says "If Quisk appears to run but you get no sound input or output, you may be having trouble with your settings. Start Quisk and look at the graph. You should get a moving line display. Look at the Config screen. Interrupts should be increasing and latencies should fluctuate. If all this looks normal, but you get no sound output, or you get only white noise output, then you may need to change your settings with a mixer program. "

All my mixer settings are at 100%

73
Mike/KK4TYE

http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Peaberry-V2-no-sound-tp4023764p4023770.html
To start a new topic under Quisk SDR, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Quisk SDR, click here.
NAML

Re: Peaberry V2 no sound

kk4tye
I am using a dummy load while I set up my shack.
73
Mike/KK4TYE

Re: Peaberry V2 no sound

kk4tye
Hello,
All I completely reinstalled Ubuntu on my Laptop ,  I now have sound only if I plug in a speaker to the onboard sound card. Rainer when you plug in your usb headset are you making any changes to your .quisk_config.py file? if so could you share?
Thanks all for your help
73
Mike/KK4TYE

Re: Peaberry V2 no sound

ak4pf
Mike,

I think your mic_play needs to point to your SDR, not your USB audio.  Did you want your sound output over the USB audio?

If it helps, you can also use alsa names (see aplay -l) to make it more readable and less of an issue if your system enumerates cards in a different order (e.g. boot up without headset plugged into usb).  So, I have "hw:SDR,0", "hw:Intel,0", and "hw:Loopback,0".

Andrew

http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Peaberry-V2-no-sound-tp4023764p4023774.html

--
Andrew Sternberg
Vanderbilt University
Institute for Space and Defense Electronics
615-322-5890

Re: Peaberry V2 no sound

kk4tye
I solved the USB  enumerates cards in a different order, by adding USB indexes in my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file.
You can get the details here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UsbAudioDevices
73
Mike/KK4TYE

Re: Peaberry V2 no sound

DJ6OA
Mike,

I am pleased to hear that you solved your problems.

An earlier version of this web site "help.ubuntu.com" led to my version of the last line of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file.

It is easier to keep control over the device enumeration if you keep to a fixed order of connecting and starting the devices, f.i. peaberry first and then headset or other usb devices like mobiles and GPS mice if you change often the devices connected to the computer These devices all have different vid's and pid's..

On tinkering with my Logitech headset, I found out that there is a further cause of problems. If I had a "digital_input-name ..." in my .quisk-config.py file, but the snd-aloop device was not activated via modprobe before starting Quisk, I also got no sound from Quisk, but several error messages..

For what good purpose it may serve, this is my .quisk_conf.py file for the EeePC with the Logitech headset plugged in after connecting the Peaberry (Peaberry card 3, Logitech card 4):

from softrock import hardware_usb as quisk_hardware
# from softrock import hardware_usb_new as quisk_hardware
from softrock import widgets_tx as quisk_widgets

si570_direct_control = True
# si570_xtal_freq = 114344248
si570_xtal_freq = 114285000
usb_vendor_id = 0x16c0
usb_product_id = 0x05dc

# key_poll_msec =400
button_font_size = 8 #For EeePC HA1005

sample_rate = 96000
playback_rate = 96000
latency_millisecs = 250

name_of_sound_capt = "hw:3,0"
name_of_sound_play = "plughw:4,0"  # Logitech headset
channel_i = 1
channel_q = 0

# For Peaberry V2:
# Microphone capture:
mic_sample_rate = 48000 # Microphone capture sample rate in Hertz, should be 48000, can be 8000
microphone_name = "plughw:4,0" # Logitech headset - Name of microphone capture device
mic_channel_I = 1 # Soundcard index of mic capture audio channel
mic_channel_Q = 0 # Soundcard index of ignored capture channel

# Microphone samples sent to soundcard:
name_of_mic_play = "plughw:3,0" # Name of play device if CW or mic I/Q is sent to a sound card
mic_playback_rate = 96000 # Playback rate must be a multiple 1, 2, ... of mic_sample_rate
mic_play_chan_I = 1 # Soundcard index of mic I play channel
mic_play_chan_Q = 0 # Soundcard index of mic Q play channel
mic_out_volume = 1.0 # Transmit sound output volume (after all processing) as a fraction 0.0 to 1.0

digital_input_name = "hw:1,0"
digital_output_name= digital_input_name
73's

Rainer , DJ6OA