Peaberry V2 setup challenges

kz1x
Hello

Extreme Linux newbie here, basically a skill level that allows me the ability to trash a system entirely and make it unrecoverable.

I have a known working Peaberry V2 rig.  I have Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and quisk installed and running, sort of.

I appear to be able to command the Peaberry to change bands, go into TX, and so forth.

However I cannot see any recovered audio.  The quisk status says there are no errors and a counter is incrementing merrily away.

There is an error that says something about "cannot   open playback device plughw:Intel,0   ... I have no idea what that means.  I used config sample information from a file I saw on the Peaberry V2 support forum and I suspect the guy who posted it has some other variable set that does not match mine.

Re: Peaberry V2 setup challenges

The message
>"cannot   open playback device plughw:Intel,0   ... I have no idea what that means.
It means you did not set a valid audio device in your configuration file.  Please look at your available audio devices on the screen Config/Sound, read the documentation, and then set a valid audio device in your config file.

Re: Peaberry V2 setup challenges

kz1x
Thanks for the feedback.   The mistake I was making was using too much config-file content from another person who had posted "what worked for them."

It didn't work for me (obviously, I learned, after quite a while fiddling with it).

After I commented out portions of his setup data, and replaced it with simplified parameters that are relevant to my current setup, quisk came up ok.

I guess one next step is for me to figure out how to use pulse audio or alsa and then set up the sound resources there.  Then, the quisk config can be set to share the Peaberry signals with fldigi using some of the capabilities the other guy was employing.

I would also like to find out how to set quisk so the mouse scroll wheel can control the VFO in whatever digit place I select, such as 10s or 100s of Hertz.

A large challenge for newbies is trying to decipher some of the parameter-variable syntax.  The message I stated above, "I have no idea what this means" for example isn't referring to the entire line.  It was in fact quite clear to me that I knew what it meant since I was using the example error to explain what wasn't working.  Perhaps I could have been clearer.

Rather, I was referring to the specific syntax describing the variable.  Text strings such as "plugHw:Intel,0" and such may make intuitive sense to a person whose experience includes working with such syntax, or with the device hardware 'drivers' and so forth.  Unfortunately, these same syntactical shortcuts that streamline usability for programmers can flummox others until they too garner the needed experience level.

Re: Peaberry V2 setup challenges

<quote author="kz1x">
>>I would also like to find out how to set quisk so the mouse scroll wheel can control the VFO in whatever digit place I select, such as 10s or 100s of Hertz.

That is a good idea for a future feature.  I will add it to my todo list.

>>Rather, I was referring to the specific syntax describing the variable.  Text strings such as "plugHw:Intel,0"

Actually, Linux (and Windows) has a history of multiple diverse sound systems, each with its own confusing syntax.  Being a programmer doesn't really help.  I have found this reference to be useful:

http://jan.newmarch.name/LinuxSound/

Re: Peaberry V2 setup challenges

pascal
Hi all

Another question about VFO tuning : when I clic on the left mouse button to move the frequency, the frequency  moves slower than the mouse pointer...May be I missed some adjustement in the config file ?
Pascal, F6EHP,  visit  www.f6ehp.fr

Re: Peaberry V2 setup challenges

This is a feature.  If you drag the mouse across the lower/upper part of the graph, the frequency moves slower/faster.  So you can choose the tuning rate.

Re: Peaberry V2 setup challenges

pascal
Wonderfull !!! I never think to try that !!! Thanks & 73
Pascal, F6EHP,  visit  www.f6ehp.fr