Problem with MacPorts: "ValueError: No backend available"

Problem with MacPorts: "ValueError: No backend available"

K5KHK
I am trying to get Quisk to run on a MacBook Pro running High Sierra. I installed - as far as I can tell - all required MacPorts modules and non-MacPorts software. Then I did the "make macports" in the Quisk folder tried to run the application using "python quisk.py". This results in this error message:

W: [] caps.c: Normally all extra capabilities would be dropped now, but that's impossible because PulseAudio was built without capabilities support.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./quisk.py", line 5302, in <module>
    main()
  File "./quisk.py", line 5292, in main
    App()
  File "./quisk.py", line 3061, in __init__
    wx.App.__init__(self, redirect=False)
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_cocoa/wx/_core.py", line 8628, in __init__
    self._BootstrapApp()
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-osx_cocoa/wx/_core.py", line 8196, in _BootstrapApp
    return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
  File "./quisk.py", line 3502, in OnInit
    self.config_text = Hardware.open()
  File "./softrock/hardware_usb.py", line 51, in open
    usb_dev = usb.core.find(idVendor=self.conf.usb_vendor_id, idProduct=self.conf.usb_product_id)
  File "./usb/core.py", line 1199, in find
    raise ValueError('No backend available')
ValueError: No backend available

Does anybody know how I can get around this?

Thanks,

Karl Heinz - K5KHK
Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Re: Problem with MacPorts: "ValueError: No backend available"

K5KHK
I think I figured it out: When I rename/remove the "usb" folder that comes with Quisk, then the systemwide PyUSB is found and used, and that does not report a problem. Is there a good reason to have the Quisk-specific version of PyUSB?

Thanks,

Karl Heinz - K5KHK
Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Re: Problem with MacPorts: "ValueError: No backend available"

N1JPL
This post was updated on .
Hi Karl,

I'm also trying to get Quisk running on my MacBook, and I have yet to succeed. Do you mind sharing how you did succeed.

I also use Macports.

After make macports, I do "python quick.py", but I get errors about pulse audio being built without capabilities.
and I get a quick window, but it is non functional.
pulseaudio version is 11.1

73 de Jean-Paul
N1JPL

Re: Problem with MacPorts: "ValueError: No backend available"

Jack
Same issue with pulse audio errors and non functioning windows -- any solutions?
73,
Jack (W0FNQ)

Re: Problem with MacPorts: "ValueError: No backend available"

K5KHK
This is in reply to both N1JPL and W0FNQ:

The error/warning message about extra capabilities is something that has to do with how the libraries are compiled in both MacPorts and Homebrew, and I don't know if it's causing any problems. When you search for just that error message on Google, you'll see that this is a problem with a whole bunch of systems that have nothing to do with macOS or Quisk.

As I wrote earlier, renaming the "usb" folder caused Quisk to look for the MacPorts/Homebrew version of PyUSB.

To fix the way things are displayed on the configuration screens, I made one more change to one of the source files:

 I've changed one line in the "BaseWindow" constructor:

class BaseWindow(ScrolledPanel):
  def __init__(self, parent):
    ScrolledPanel.__init__(self, parent)
    self.font = wx.Font(conf.config_font_size, wx.FONTFAMILY_SWISS, wx.NORMAL,
          wx.FONTWEIGHT_NORMAL, face=conf.quisk_typeface)
    self.SetFont(self.font)
    self.row = 1
    self.charx = self.GetCharWidth()
    self.chary = self.GetCharHeight()
    self.quisk_height = self.chary * 18 / 10 # KHK try 18 instead of 14
Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Re: Problem with MacPorts: "ValueError: No backend available"

Jack
Thanks for reply -- I have changed the usb directory name and also recompiled with the ftdi headers using make macports but still get frozen screen.  Terminal shows "Failed to connect to local Pulseaudio server."  Also tried to force PortAudio with an old-style configuration file but apparently that is no longer viable?  I have a late 2016 macbook pro with high sierra.

73, Jack (W0FNQ)

Re: Problem with MacPorts: "ValueError: No backend available"

K5KHK
Jack,

I was experimenting in a virtual machine. Here are my notes from setting up a brand new system with Quisk:

Installed macOS

Installed Xcode and command line utilities

Installed TextMate

Installed MacPorts

sudo port install fftw-3

Download quisk-4.0.12

Run make macports in quisk folder

-> Need portaudio

sudo port install portaudio

-> need pulse audio

sudo port install pulseaudio (long list of dependencies to be installed)

        sudo port select --set python python27

        sudo port select --set python2 python27

-> Need ftd2xx.h

Download from www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm (Version 1.4.4)

sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib

sudo mkdir /usr/local/include

sudo cp D2XX/libftd2xx.1.4.4.dylib /usr/local/lib/libftd2xx.1.4.4.dylib

sudo ln -sf /usr/local/lib/libftd2xx.1.4.4.dylib /usr/local/lib/libftd2xx.dylib

sudo cp D2XX/*.h /usr/local/include

-> library compiles and links

sudo port install py27-wxpython-3.0

sudo port install py27-pyUSB

sudo port install py27-pip # Just to have pip available

After that, it was renaming the usb folder, changing the one line in the Quisk code, and configuring Quisk. This was done with High Sierra as well.

Karl Heinz Kremer
PDF Acrobatics Without a Net
PDF Software Development, Training and More...

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 1:53 PM, Jack [via quisk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for reply -- I have changed the usb directory name and also recompiled with the ftdi headers using make macports but still get frozen screen.  Terminal shows "Failed to connect to local Pulseaudio server."  Also tried to force PortAudio with an old-style configuration file but apparently that is no longer viable?  I have a late 2016 macbook pro with high sierra.

73, Jack (W0FNQ)

http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Problem-with-MacPorts-ValueError-No-backend-available-tp4024318p4024375.html
To unsubscribe from Problem with MacPorts: "ValueError: No backend available", click here.
NAML

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Re: Problem with MacPorts: "ValueError: No backend available"

Jack
Karl,

Thanks,

I'll crosscheck my installation against your list again, but the only diff I can see offhand is that I did a pip install of wxPython, otherwise I think I went down the same country road.  I'll post again

73,
Jack

Re: Problem with MacPorts: "ValueError: No backend available"

Jack
Karl and others:

Getting closer.  Same basic procedure as Karl plus I changed "the ?/quisk/quisk_conf_defaults.py" file around line 62 as follows:

elif sys.platform == "darwin":
  #name_of_sound_capt = "pulse"
  #name_of_sound_play = "pulse"
  name_of_sound_capt = "portaudio#2" # JDG
  name_of_sound_play = "portaudiodefault" # JDG
else:

This allows me to get to an active quisk.  Still haven't figure out what audio settings to use but at least I can now play with the configurations.

73
Jack (W0FNQ)