Quisk-3.7.7

There is a beta bug-fix release available on james.ahlstrom.name to fix problems with the long PulseAudio names. If you are using PulseAudio, please give it a try.

Re: Quisk-3.7.7

JA5AEA
Hi,

I upgraded from version 3.6x to 3.77 and I recognizes the drastic improvement of PulseAudio latency. My response is not related to the length of PulaseAudio names but I am wondering why the size of Graph panel woud not be flexible to the width of Quisk window and it remains the minimum size.

Regards,

take

de JA5AEA

Re: Quisk-3.7.7

I don't see that with my computer.  Please send me your config file.  Did this occur with the last version of Quisk?  What is your screen resolution, and what OS are you using?

Re: Quisk-3.7.7

JA5AEA
Hi, Jim,

Thank you for responding my inquiry.

Here is my .quisk_conf.py and my Linux is UbunduStudio .

"Linux HP-Linux 3.13.0-65-lowlatency #106-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 2 23:06:14 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"

I tried old Quisk-3.6.21 with the same .quisk_conf.py and recognize the similar problem. See the attached picture. Thus, it looks like the problem is not only version 3.7.7. and the cause still relates to the long and short ALSA device name issue.

Regards,

take

de JA5AEA

# This is a sample quisk_conf.py configuration file for a SoftRock Rx/Tx Ensemble or
# other SoftRock that has both transmit and receive capability.  You need two sound
# cards, a high quality card to capture radio samples and play microphone sound; and
# a lower quality card to play radio sound and capture the microphone.

# Please do not change this sample file.
# Instead copy it to your own config file and make changes there.
# See quisk_conf_defaults.py for more information.

from softrock import hardware_usb as quisk_hardware
from softrock import widgets_tx   as quisk_widgets

softrock_model = "RxTxEnsemble"

# Radio samples and audio:

show_pulse_audio_devices = True
# works with device_description obtained by paccmd list-sinks command de JA5AEA
name_of_sound_capt = "pulse:E-MU 0204 | USB Analog Stereo"
name_of_mic_play = "pulse:E-MU 0204 | USB Analog Stereo"
sample_rate = 96000
channel_i = 1 # Soundcard index of in-phase channel:  0, 1, 2, ...
channel_q = 0 # Soundcard index of quadrature channel:  0, 1, 2, ...

name_of_sound_play = "pulse:Built-in Audio Analog Stereo"
microphone_name = "pulse:Built-in Audio Analog Stereo"
#microphone_input_volume = 0.1
playback_rate = 48000 # radio sound playback rate
mic_playback_rate = sample_rate # Playback rate for microphone
mic_out_volume = 0.4 # Transmit sound output volume (after all processing) as a fraction 0.0 to 1.0

Re: Quisk-3.7.7

Hello,

I still can't see what the problem is.  Please remove this line from the file softrock/hardware_usb.py:

    self.application.bottom_widgets.info_text.SetLabel(text)

It should be at line 80 in the most recent version.  Then remove this line from your config file:

from softrock import widgets_tx   as quisk_widgets

That will remove the long line at the bottom of the screen.  Please test on the latest version so our line numbers agree.

Re: Quisk-3.7.7

Another idea is to switch to ALSA names and see if the problem goes away.  The ALSA name should be apparent from the PulseAudio name.

Re: Quisk-3.7.7

JA5AEA
Jim,

Thank you for spending your precise time for my inquiry.

By your instruction, I could remove the long line at the bottom of the screen but the issue is not solved.

See the attached shot.

Regards,

take

de JA5AEA

Re: Quisk-3.7.7

JA5AEA
Jim,

Your suggestion to switch to ALSA name hinted me that my inquiry itself is bad and confused the audience.

The following is two shots of Quisk-3.77 and Quisk-3.6.21 based on ALSA name.

I notied Quisk fixes the horizontal width of Graph to the width of minimum window. However, the width of the minimum size window of Quisk-3.77 is quite smaller than one of Quisk-3.6.21, and I always have to extend the horizontal width to see overlapped buttons. Then, I notice the width of Graph is too small and start to complain Quisk nature.

Would you tell me the way to extend the size of minimum window like Quisk-3.6.21?

Regards,

take

de JA5AEA

Re: Quisk-3.7.7

JA5AEA
Jim,

I found out that Quisk-3.7.5 changed the code for full-screen mode and adding the following statements to fix window size to 1400x480 solves the issue.

window_width = 1400 # The window width in pixels, or -1 to use graph_width
window_height = 480 # The window height in pixels, or -1 for a default height

I do not know the reason why so small window size is selected as the default values to confuse the majority of the users but see the attached shot.

It is comforable Graph window for smooth operation.

Again, thank you for spending your time for the novice.

Regards,

take

de JA5AEA

Re: Quisk-3.7.7

I am glad it is working.  But I do not understand what caused the problem.  It seems that Quisk did not receive the correct size of your screen when Quisk starts.  It received a small size, and therefore made a small graph.  This could be caused by the WX package not understanding your screen.  Anyway, you invented the correct fix.