Quisk 4.0.0

This is a major new release of Quisk.  Comments, suggestions and bug reports are welcome.  There is a lot of new code here, but remember that the prior version is still on my web page.

Quisk now has two new screen layouts.  The "large screen" layout is the default, and is designed for PCs.  It uses the full screen width in order to show as wide a graph as possible, and to make mouse tuning easy.  The new layout "small screen" is designed for small screens such as touch screens used for single-board computers.  But "small screen" can also be used by those with sight impairment, or by those who run Quisk at narrow widths on a PC. It has more button rows; and the band, mode and screen select buttons are hidden behind three master buttons.  To select the band, for example, you press the band master button, and a list of bands pops up; then select the band.  Press the Help button to read the new help file.  Set button_layout = "Small screen" in your config file; but see below.

If you have written your own quisk_widgets.py file to add custom widgets to the bottom of your screen, you will need to change this file to accommodate both layouts. See n2adr/quisk_widgets.py and hermes/quisk_widgets.py for examples.

Quisk now has configuration screens to display and edit its settings.  For most users, this makes config files obsolete.  Press the Config button and see the additional tabs, and be sure to read the config help tab.  Furthermore, Quisk can save different settings for different radios.  For example, you can have a block of settings named HiQSDR and a separate block named SoftRock.  When Quisk starts, it can ask which radio you want to use.  This feature should appeal to those who have trouble dealing with config files, and to advanced users with multiple radios.

If you do nothing, Quisk operates as before, and the settings feature does nothing.  You have to turn it on by making a named block of settings; a "radio".  If you make some changes that cause Quisk to fail to start, just start Quisk with the "-a" or "--ask" option, and specify "ConfigFileRadio" as the startup radio.  The "ConfigFileRadio" is the radio as specified in the config file, and no internal settings are used.  This should not happen, but the code is very new, and I expect that it needs more work.

The settings screens take the place of config files, although config files can still be used. After editing settings, it is necessary to restart Quisk to make the settings happen.  Press the "Restart" button.  Some changes will always require a restart, such as the button layout. But I expect to make many settings happen instantly without a restart.

Re: Quisk 4.0.0

Iw5el
Excellent work Jim!

73

Re: Quisk 4.0.0

Iw5el
Tested vesion 4.0.0 on a raspberry pi 2 using a 5 inch 800x480 and a 3 inch 480x320 screens.
Very good useability on the 5" touchscreen, on the 3,5" at least the graph sliders should be removed gaining further space for the buttons.

73 IW5EL

Re: Quisk 4.0.0

There is a new Quisk 4.0.1 to fix some bugs, and add the "Odyssey" radio by David Fainitski.

Re: Quisk 4.0.0

There is a new Quisk 4.0.2.  This is mostly a bugfix release.  It fixes problems with the DX cluster telnet server.  It adds additional PulseAudio features provided by Eric Thornton.  Thanks Eric!

Re: Quisk 4.0.0

JA5AEA
Thank you very much for your efforts to  keep updates for Quisk to be competitive.

However, I have been recognizing Status page of Config is blank for Linux version 4.02 under SoftRock USB usage.
Would you check this symptom?

Regards,

take

de JA5AEA

Re: Quisk 4.0.0

pascal
This post was updated on .
Hi Jim

Thanks for this upgrade

1.Wfall works well now on my system ( ODROID U3 + Hermes_lite )

Just a detail :

graph_y_scale = 100
graph_y_zero  = 0

the graph_y_zero is set to 100 instead of 0 at starting, and nothing to do to change it !  Not a big issue...

With the config file, I get the cluster informations, but with the configuration screen, cluster doesn't work ( same parameters, of course, in the 2 files)

2. with another setup : ODROID-X + Softrock, I get an error when I start it ( make in quisk doesn't give any error)

linaro@linaro-ubuntu-desktop:~/quisk$ python ~/quisk/quisk.py -c ~/.softrock_quisk_conf.py
Fontconfig warning: ignoring C.UTF-8: not a valid language tag
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/linaro/quisk/quisk.py", line 4707, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/linaro/quisk/quisk.py", line 4697, in main
    App()
  File "/home/linaro/quisk/quisk.py", line 2536, in __init__
    wx.App.__init__(self, redirect=False)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 7981, in __init__
    self._BootstrapApp()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 7555, in _BootstrapApp
    return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/linaro/quisk/quisk.py", line 2591, in OnInit
    sample_rate = int(66666667.0 / conf.sdriq_decimation + 0.5)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'sdriq_decimation'

Best 73
Pascal, F6EHP,  visit  www.f6ehp.fr

Re: Quisk 4.0.3

This is mostly a bugfix release.  It changes Unicode JSON strings to ASCII.  It adds additional PulseAudio features provided by Eric Thornton.  Thanks Eric!