Quisk and PulseAudio - audio stops

jedunmire
I am trying to hook up quisk and fldigi on an Ubuntu 10.04 system using PulseAudio. I've got it working, but from time-to-time output from quisk just stops, even though the signal display continues without a problem. When the problem occurs the Config screen shows the count of Playback errors increasing.

I can work around the problem somewhat by changing the latency_millisecs setting. However I find that the actual value needed can vary from run-to-run, so I suspect that I am just covering the real problem.

Any suggestions?
Is anyone else trying to use quisk, fldigi, and PulseAudio?

Details on my setup can be found at http://https://sites.google.com/site/rockingdlabs/excercises-experiments/quisk-and-pulseaudio

Re: Quisk and PulseAudio - audio stops

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
On 11/06/2011 05:45 PM, jedunmire [via quisk] wrote:
I am trying to hook up quisk and fldigi on an Ubuntu 10.04 system using PulseAudio. I've got it working, but from time-to-time output from quisk just stops, even though the signal display continues without a problem. When the problem occurs the Config screen shows the count of Playback errors increasing.

I can work around the problem somewhat by changing the latency_millisecs setting. However I find that the actual value needed can vary from run-to-run, so I suspect that I am just covering the real problem.

Any suggestions?
Is anyone else trying to use quisk, fldigi, and PulseAudio?

Details on my setup can be found at http://https://sites.google.com/site/rockingdlabs/excercises-experiments/quisk-and-pulseaudio

http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Quisk-and-PulseAudio-audio-stops-tp3485733p3485733.html
To start a new topic under Quisk SDR, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Quisk SDR, click here.
I've never had good luck with pulseaudio and the EMU-0202, and I helped write the EMU-0202 driver quirks.
I believe at startup quisk tries to control the sample rate and it confuses something (either the usbsnd state or the EMU-0202 firmware).
I eventually blocked out the device from pulse and that made it better; then I removed pulse (as I still had failures at boot time with pulse installed; boot would hang until I turned off the EMU-0202). Then I abandoned the EMU-0202 for my built-in 192KHz on-board audio.  I haven't gone back to pulse as I don't see what advantage it gives for single-use devices.

Leigh/WA5ZNU

Re: Quisk and PulseAudio - audio stops

jedunmire
Hi Leigh,
I'm sorry to hear about the problems you ran into. I hope I'm not setting myself up for similar problems, but the choices for connecting quisk to fldigi for digital work seems to be PulseAudio and Jack2. So far I'm not having trouble with the capture, but only the playback, and that gives me some hope.

Thanks for the feedback.

73,
...jerry
KA6HLD