Quisk installed, runs, but does not control USB-I2C - while other software does

Quisk installed, runs, but does not control USB-I2C - while other software does

Bob Bowers
I'm dealing with a headache.
I installed the latest version of Quisk, because i was unable to get an older version (from the Ubuntu repositories) to work.  The software recognizes that I'm running an older softrock (RxTx6.3 with USB-I2C adapter).  However, no matter what I do in the setup, Quisk will not control the Si570.  (It did twice... and I don't know what was different those two times).

If I start quisk and then open up a terminal and run usbsoftrock, I can control the Si570 with usbsoftrock, but usbsoftrock doesn't recognize the changes (like frequency), even though the Si570 does change frequency as commanded.  It usually insists that the device is running at around 44mhz.  It states that the crystal frequency had changed since the unit was last powered down, and will not calibrate.

I have a second computer set up, and ran the cfgsr software in a virtual machine - everything worked fine there (change values and see the change, settings worked, and so on).  Calibration - no problem.

Any advice or suggestions on how to get this radio working?  If I have to, I will run usbsoftrock in the background so as to control the Si570, and Quisk in the foreground.  I'd rather do it all from Quisk.

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 on a machine that doesn't connect to the internet - unless I hook up the ethernet cable.  I wonder if an upgrade to 18.04 would work.

Thanks for any help!
Bob

Re: Quisk installed, runs, but does not control USB-I2C - while other software does

Hello Bob,

It sounds like Quisk is not connecting to the hardware. Check the settings on the radio Hardware screen. Make sure you have a current libusb installed. The Ubuntu package name is "python-usb".

Re: Quisk installed, runs, but does not control USB-I2C - while other software does

Bob Bowers
That's my impression.  I do have python-usb installed (latest version), and have gone back to the settings screen multiple times to see if there was something I overlooked - the USB addresses are correct, the I2C address is 55 hex (correct), everything seems right.  It's showing up under lsusb and shows up with usbsoftrock (and that controls it... although it seems to act strange - I set the frequency, and can tell using Quisk that it's doing the job, but doing a usbsoftrock getfreq - the frequency is usually given as a wrong value (around 44mhz).

I'm going to try to upgrade to 18.04 (hope that's not a mistake) and see if I can get it to work that way.  Another thing to try - changing the usb cables around.  When I use my main computer (this one - the other older one is dedicated to running quisk and similar programs, to provide a waterfall/spectrum display), I've found that it's not recognized on one of the ports (but on the others).  Other than that - on my virtual W7 machine on this system, it's flawless.

One thing I've encountered - there is no version of python-wxgtk3.0 available for 14.04, yet Quisk installed without a hitch.  Could that be the issue?  (Suggesting that an upgrade would fix the issue.)

Bob

Re: Quisk installed, runs, but does not control USB-I2C - while other software does

Hello Bob,

No, your wxPython version is irrelevant. Quisk works with versions from 2.8 up.

Re: Quisk installed, runs, but does not control USB-I2C - while other software does

Hello Bob,

No, your wxPython version is irrelevant. Quisk works with versions from 2.8 up.

Re: Quisk installed, runs, but does not control USB-I2C - while other software does

Bob Bowers

Problem solved - dumb mistake on my part (had the wrong hardware configuration selected).

It took some figuring (crystal frequency was off a bit from the expected value in the Si570), but I also have the softrock working as it should, except for one tiny problem - it's about a Khz off when using a transverter (144 to 28).

A signal generator (checked against WWV) is putting out a 144.200 signal, and that's showing up on the waterfall/graph as being at 144.200800.  No matter what I put in for the offset (116000800, 115999200, and so on) it stays 114.200800.  The radio checks out as far as accuracy, so the transverter is a bit off.  Is there something I'm missing here?  I would think changing the offset value in Quisk would correct the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Bob

To unsubscribe from Quisk installed, runs, but does not control USB-I2C - while other software does, click here.
NAML

Re: Quisk installed, runs, but does not control USB-I2C - while other software does

Hello Bob,

The change to transverter offset is not immediate. Try changing the offset and then restarting Quisk. Or change the offset, change bands to another band and then back to 2 meters.

Re: Quisk installed, runs, but does not control USB-I2C - while other software does

Bob Bowers

I'll check it out again (very minor problem that if I can't fix, I will live with), but I did try both of those - and double-confirmed the accuracy of my signal generator and the softrock (signal generator a tiny bit off, around 100hz at 144.200, softrock within 10hz - 5-25mhz).

For all I know, it may be the unusual setup I run here (separate older computer for radios and the radio is itself modded for wideband operation - 160 through 10 and then going through an external bandpass filter before the antenna or other outside device - like my transverter).

(Laugh!) I am usually one of the people who come up with weird problems and who finds quirks in software... and every once in a while a surprising solution.

I'm adding a second question in a separate post, regarding squelch for SSB...

Thanks again for your assistance!