Quisk with Softrock RXTX v6.3

Tony Ploski
I have a Softrock RXTX v6.3 with the USB-I2C interface.  I have been running Rocky under WinXP for several years.  I wanted to change to Linux software and decided that Quisk seemed an equivalent program for CW operation.  I obtained the latest 3.6.1 and installed it OK.  I am using a M-Audio Delta 44 sound card and my motherboard sound card as the audio interfaces.  The Delta 44 for I/Q to/from the Softrock.  After messing around with config files, I finally got it receiving and tuning properly.  Except that the CW seems chopped up and clicky.  Are there any adjustments to make on buffer sizes, etc. that I should be looking at?

My computer is a homebrew with Intel Atom 330 cpu (dual core, dual thread) and 2G RAM.  I am using Ubuntu 12.04LTS.

Tony
W2HWW

Re: Quisk with Softrock RXTX v6.3

The config file tuning options are latency_millisecs and data_poll_usec.  See the file
quisk_conf_defaults.py.  It is also possible that your Atom is under-powered for CW.
I am working on a new version of Quisk that uses less resources, so that may solve
the problem if tuning does not.

Re: Quisk with Softrock RXTX v6.3

Tony Ploski
Jim
I just doubled the latency to 300 millisec and changed the data_poll to 20000, the same as Win32 uses.  It improves the situation but not enough.  The CW is still choppy and hard to distinguish dits from dahs.  As for the Atom being underpowered, using Rocky in WinXP at 96000 sample rate, it works fine in both receive and transmit.  I'm using 48000 sample rate in quisk so I thought that would be less workload.

Looking through conf_defaults, I noticed the key_method statements.  The Softrock RXTX with USB-I2C has the key connected to the USB-I2C and the software gets the key signal via the USB port.  It looks like that option is not included in quisk?

Tony
W2HWW

Re: Quisk with Softrock RXTX v6.3

Tony Ploski
I changed the settings to the following and performance improved greatly.  Getting nice clean sounding CW now.

data_poll_usec = 1000    #default is 5000
latency_millisec = 1        #default is 150

Tony
W2HWW

Re: Quisk with Softrock RXTX v6.3

I don't know how to connect your key.  Probably you need to change is_key_down.c or
create a custom hardware file.

jim

Re: Quisk with Softrock RXTX v6.3

Tony Ploski
When Quisk is used with the Softrock EnsembleRXTX does (can) it do CW transmit? The Softrock v6.3 has exactly the same USB interface and the key connects to the ATiny controller which provides the USB-I2C interface.  So if it works for the EnsembleRxTX then it will work for my v6.3.

Re: Quisk with Softrock RXTX v6.3

Tony Ploski
I think the receive is working OK, but when I try to do image reduction I run out of range on the phase.  Is there any way to widen the adjustment window?

I tried transmit.  The key signal seems to get from the Softrock to quisk as the Graph processing stops, but I am not measuring any RF output.  I check the alsamixer settings and maxed out the DAC levels, but still nothing.   Is there somewhere else I need to look?

Also, I noticed in the Help file the sentence: "Sidetone is only active if you configure Quisk to operate as a transceiver, and change is_key_down.c to provide a key signal".  Do I need to do this? If so how?

Tony W2HWW