Qusik 4.X.X without pulseaudio

kc7noa
This post was updated on .
How well does Quisk work without pulseaudio ...

Im trying to use direwolf with Quisk and some one suggested to try using alsa with portaudio ...

Does Quisk still work with portaudio ?

Re: Qusik 4.X.X without pulseaudio

kc7noa
So there was a miss quote from direwolf users ....

direwolf uses alsa ... and not portaudio ....

Quisk seems to no function with out pulseaudio server ....OK

So does any one have direwolf working with quisk .... i cant seem to get it to decode anything when its pointed at snd-aloop -- which is what all of the other digital programs use ....

I wish direwolf had some documentation when it comes to enabling a debug system of some kind.

I hope Jim might try to see if it works .... I don't think many read this forum, maybe Pascal is still using his UHFSDR/quisk and can give it a go ....

Re: Qusik 4.X.X without pulseaudio

Nick
> Quisk seems to no function with out pulseaudio server

It seems to run OK when launched with

$ pasuspender -- /usr/bin/python quisk.py

Is that not the same thing?

Re: Qusik 4.X.X without pulseaudio

kc7noa
Thanks Nick ....

Do you use a conf file in the home directory -- old style or used the quisk gui to setup the portaudio devices?

what kind of string is shown on your radio/sound tab for each part of the radio?
just one example should be enough for me to understand ....

Re: Qusik 4.X.X without pulseaudio

kc7noa
Ok .. just making a report ...

If i use just --- (in the GUI sound device field --- not the .quisk_conf.py)

hw:1,0

with no alsa or portaudio ... i can rx .. but no Tx audio is making it to the radio-Rf soundcard ... the radio does key, nothing more ... and the microphone level on the Tx tab does show movement -- so its working that far ...

using pauspender made no difference .... it might with latency .. but since i have no Tx audio signal .. its no way to benefit.

There are no errors ... so im wondering if i need to add a samble delay .... some others using the Via1620 usb had to with other (windows) SDR programs .... ill try that tomorrow .. its goten late ...

Re: Qusik 4.X.X without pulseaudio

Nick
kc7noa wrote
Do you use a conf file in the home directory -- old style or used the quisk gui to setup the portaudio devices?

what kind of string is shown on your radio/sound tab for each part of the radio?
just one example should be enough for me to understand ....
I only use ~/.quisk_conf.py to override cosmetic things introduced by quisk_conf_defaults.py.

All other settings including the audio devices are set up through the GUI; see the screen shots my earlier post about using quisk for CW on the softrock ensemble RXTX with a single Delta 44 sound card.

As you will see I do not use portaudio devices.

I tried to use portaudio to separate Outputs 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the Delta 44 but could not make it work.

portaudio device names worked OK for RX but not for TX.

e.g. portaudio:(hw:0,0)

It seems to me that quisk or the underlying python classes do not understand alsa subdevice numbers.

That is why I started using jack and the alsa jack pcm plugin.

The jack solution does not provide the lowest latency but it does work!

Now I have a working system I will have another go at using portaudio.

Re: Qusik 4.X.X without pulseaudio

Nick
kc7noa wrote
Ok .. just making a report ...

If i use just --- (in the GUI sound device field --- not the .quisk_conf.py)

hw:1,0

with no alsa or portaudio ... i can rx .. but no Tx audio is making it to the radio-Rf soundcard ... the radio does key, nothing more ... and the microphone level on the Tx tab does show movement -- so its working that far ...
.
.
.
There are no errors ... so im wondering if i need to add a samble delay .... some others using the Via1620 usb had to with other (windows) SDR programs .... ill try that tomorrow .. its goten late ...
Mike

hw:1,0 is an alsa device name.  I believe the first number is the sound card number, and the second number is a subdevice of that card.  aplay -l lists them.  You can split 4 outputs of a Delta 44 into 2 pairs with .asoundrc, but quisk and/or python seem unable to use the .asoundrc logical PCM devices on TX.  So in my case a pure alsa solution wasn't possible without introducing a second physical sound card.  I  did not wish to do that so I started using jack.

Are you using two physical sound cards?

How are they connected to the radio?

By microphone level do you mean "Peak microphone audio level -XX dB" on the TX audio tab?

If that changes with voice input it, then I guess the microphone audio is getting to quisk.

What device have you set for I/Q Tx Output?

Is that device connected to the TX hardware?

I do not think that adding a sample delay will help.

My experience is that getting SDR to work on RX is relatively easy; it is the TX side that is problematic!

73

Nick

Re: Qusik 4.X.X without pulseaudio

kc7noa
"By microphone level do you mean "Peak microphone audio level -XX dB" on the TX audio tab? "
yes ....

Once in a while i will get a sample offset with the Via1620 -- its the Rx/Tx soundcard -- (hw:2,0) --- but its usally with Rx and Tx ... Rx looked fine.

the microphone and speaker are on soundcard (hw:1,0)

arecord -l does show one (hw:1,0) but two hw:2 -- (hw:2,0) & (hw:2,1)

When i set hw:2,1 as the Tx -- quisk seems to lockup ....

when i used the alsa name for the (hw:1,0) the latency was kinda bad ... using the quisk GUI ...

Re: Qusik 4.X.X without pulseaudio

kc7noa
Ok ... well ...

I guess the driver (is it built into the kernel ?) just does not like alsa .... it would not send audio to the Via1630a USB soundcard .... no matter what naming convention i used ...

So i swapped it out for my older (and about 8X larger) CM-106 USB soundcard .... and bingo ... iv got Tx .....
The CM-106 has more on board noise than the Via1630a .... guess ill need to find another soundcard that alsa likes or modify my CM-106 with some bypass caps on its voltage supply's (internally) ...

How does PortAudio do its routeing? -- do you use jack to do that you would with Pulse-->Pavucontrol ?

Now that this is working .. i wonder if i can get this all working on my new Odroid-C2 using alsa ... it failed using pulseaudio

Re: Qusik 4.X.X without pulseaudio

kc7noa
Any one manage to get direwolf working with quisk ?

Maybe jack connection kit ?

The snd-aloop does work with quisk when using ALSA ?

Re: Qusik 4.X.X without pulseaudio

Nick
kc7noa wrote
So i swapped it out for my older (and about 8X larger) CM-106 USB soundcard .... and bingo ... iv got Tx .....

How does PortAudio do its routeing? -- do you use jack to do that you would with Pulse-->Pavucontrol ?

Now that this is working .. i wonder if i can get this all working on my new Odroid-C2 using alsa ... it failed using pulseaudio
Glad you got it working with the CM-106.

Portaudio devices are accessible to jack

http://portaudio.com/docs/v19-doxydocs/compile_linux.html

Until I get portaudio to work with quisk I will use the alsa jack pcm plugin

http://jackaudio.org/faq/routing_alsa.html

I may yet be able to use quisk directly with the portaudio devices to split the 4 outputs of the Delta 44.

In my experience pulseaudio introduces a lot more latency than jack.

Re: Qusik 4.X.X without pulseaudio

kc7noa
Nick wrote
In my experience pulseaudio introduces a lot more latency than jack.
Me too .... but an odd occurrence happened .... when pavucontrol was running before quisk was started (setup to use pulse and the .quisk_conf.py) the latency was almost the same as alsa ... around 40ms before my CPU load noticeably climbed ... and 20ms was hitting 50% on the CPU load.

I wish Pascal was a bit more active on this forum ... i think he uses about the same setup as i do.