Re: New Quisk Versions

Quisk Version 3.5.6 September 2011

The Spot button now has a level adjustment instead of fixed values.  Right-click the
button to adjust.  There are now three buttons with a slider adjustment, namely AGC,
Spot and the right-most filter button.

I added a feature to measure and remove any DC component in the UDP samples.  I fixed a
problem with the waterfall display when zoomed and using band up-down.

There is a new adjustable  AGC control.   Right click it to show the slider adjustment.  The
full up position corresponds to the old AGC 1.

I removed the 1650 Hertz offset when transmitting SSB.  It was not necessary and cluttered the code.

Re: New Quisk Versions

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
I still can't use easy_install or compile quisk:

# easy_install quisk
Searching for quisk
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/quisk/
Reading http://james.ahlstrom.name/quisk/
Best match: quisk 3.5.6
Downloading
http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/q/quisk/quisk-3.5.6.tar.gz#md5=8066ace9c03f1e8eb299abbfc136971d
Processing quisk-3.5.6.tar.gz
Running quisk-3.5.6/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
/tmp/easy_install-ZpJXkN/quisk-3.5.6/egg-dist-tmp-EjyAVA
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find _quisk.so
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with exit
status 1

> Quisk Version 3.5.6 September 2011
>
> The Spot button now has a level adjustment instead of fixed values.
> Right-click the
> button to adjust.  There are now three buttons with a slider adjustment,
> namely AGC,
> Spot and the right-most filter button.
>
> I added a feature to measure and remove any DC component in the UDP
> samples.
> I fixed a
> problem with the waterfall display when zoomed and using band up-down.
>
> There is a new adjustable  AGC control.   Right click it to show the
> slider
> adjustment.  The
> full up position corresponds to the old AGC 1.
>
> I removed the 1650 Hertz offset when transmitting SSB.  It was not
> necessary
> and cluttered the code.

Re: New Quisk Versions

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
OK it's just easy_install that is broken with 3.5.6.
I can download the tarball listed below and do
 make
and also do
  sudo python setup.py install

and get quisk to run.

However, I get an error on startup.

This works around the error:
-    self.sidetone_volume = 0 # Set sidetone volume, 0.0 to 1.0
+    self.sidetone_volume = 0.0 # Set sidetone volume, 0.0 to 1.0

This is the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/quisk", line 8, in <module>
    quisk.main()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/quisk/quisk.py", line 2533,
in main
    App()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/quisk/quisk.py", line 1376,
in __init__
    wx.App.__init__(self, redirect=False)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py",
line 7978, in __init__
    self._BootstrapApp()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py",
line 7552, in _BootstrapApp
    return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/quisk/quisk.py", line 1672,
in OnInit
    self.BandFromFreq(tune)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/quisk/quisk.py", line 2385,
in BandFromFreq
    self.OnBtnMode(None, mode)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/quisk/quisk.py", line 2295,
in OnBtnMode
    self.SetRit(0)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/quisk/quisk.py", line 2154,
in SetRit
    self.OnBtnRit()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/quisk/quisk.py", line 2147,
in OnBtnRit
    QS.set_sidetone(self.sidetone_volume, self.ritFreq, conf.keyupDelay)
TypeError: integer argument expected, got float

> I still can't use easy_install or compile quisk:
>
> # easy_install quisk
> Searching for quisk
> Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/quisk/
> Reading http://james.ahlstrom.name/quisk/
> Best match: quisk 3.5.6
> Downloading
> http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/q/quisk/quisk-3.5.6.tar.gz#md5=8066ace9c03f1e8eb299abbfc136971d
> Processing quisk-3.5.6.tar.gz
> Running quisk-3.5.6/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
> /tmp/easy_install-ZpJXkN/quisk-3.5.6/egg-dist-tmp-EjyAVA
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find _quisk.so
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with exit
> status 1
>

>> Quisk Version 3.5.6 September 2011
>>
>> The Spot button now has a level adjustment instead of fixed values.
>> Right-click the
>> button to adjust.  There are now three buttons with a slider adjustment,
>> namely AGC,
>> Spot and the right-most filter button.
>>
>> I added a feature to measure and remove any DC component in the UDP
>> samples.
>> I fixed a
>> problem with the waterfall display when zoomed and using band up-down.
>>
>> There is a new adjustable  AGC control.   Right click it to show the
>> slider
>> adjustment.  The
>> full up position corresponds to the old AGC 1.
>>
>> I removed the 1650 Hertz offset when transmitting SSB.  It was not
>> necessary
>> and cluttered the code.

Re: New Quisk Versions

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
Also, I can't get FM decoding to work.  I can get band noise with one of the SSB modes and AM but FM is dead silent.  I've tried band noise and tried an FM transmitted signal.  Is there a hidden squelch setting?

Re: New Quisk Versions

The loader is complaining that it can not find _quisk.so.  Hopefully DistUtils was smart enough to compile and create _quisk.so.  So the problem is probably that the compile of sdriqpkg/sdriq.so failed.  This is the second of two Python extension modules that are created.  It is only needed for the SDR-IQ hardware.  Finding the required _quisk.so so you can load sdriq.so is problematic, because the library search paths are troublesome.

In the past, I shipped a 32-bit version of _quisk.so with the distribution.  Often that works, and covers up any problems.  But it fails on 64-bit Linux.  I can compile both 32 and 64-bit version on my two machines, but I haven't figured out a way to ship both and install the right one.

I have found it difficult to love DistUtils.  The easyinstall or setup.py or make commands give different results and problems.  I always run "make" in the install directory, and that works.  Now I see that Python is replacing DistUtils with something else.  Personally, I think making an RPM ore DEB file is the answer.

Jim - N2ADR

Re: New Quisk Versions

You are right; this is a bug.  As you say, the solution is to change quisk.py line 1445 from

    self.sidetone_volume = 0.0 # Set sidetone volume, 0.0 to 1.0

to this:

    self.sidetone_volume = 0

Thanks Leigh.

Jim - N2ADR

Re: New Quisk Versions

There is no squelch.  I am still looking into this, but there were no changes to the FM code, so this is a mystery.  Meanwhile, please try increasing the AGC slider to max.  It is possible that the FM level is very low, and the brick wall AGC I used to have covered this up by greatly increasing the level.

Jim - N2ADR

Re: New Quisk Versions

Quisk Version 3.5.7 September 2011

This is a quick release to fix two bugs in 3.5.6, the message "expected integer" and
faint audio for FM.  I also added a new parameter agc_max_gain to the default
configuration file to control the scale of the AGC slider.