Squelch for SSB

Bob Bowers
Quick question: is there some way to add squelch to SSB?  Maybe to replace one of the buttons I don't use or that is whited out?
The static is distracting (and even a bit irritating) when I try to use SSB rigs that lack it.  (It's a personal thing - some sounds I find soothing, but that is one that does the opposite.)  I have an external noise filter for another radio to solve the problem, but would rather not do that to the softrock.

I'm not sure how the squelch for FM works (my guess is that it detects the quietening of the audio), although from my observations, software like GQRX seems to do the opposite (detects increases in audio after the filter).

Thanks!

Bob

Re: Squelch for SSB

Quisk does not currently have squelch for SSB. I do not know an algorithm for it, so it would help if someone could point me in the right direction.

Re: Squelch for SSB

Bob Bowers

You might contact the author of gqrx (Alexandru Csete) or their website (gqrx.dk)... the squelch setup for that program is effective and easy to set up (based on signal strength by setting the squelch baseline above the noise floor, and muting audio until a signal exceeding that baseline passes through the filter).  You can get the source code from their website, and that might help.

GQRX is good for receiving (I use it with a NESDR Smart dongle for different tasks), but I prefer Quisk for my softrock.  GQRX does have squelch for any of the modes.

On 1/11/19 12:08 PM, ahlstromjc [via quisk] wrote:
Quisk does not currently have squelch for SSB. I do not know an algorithm for it, so it would help if someone could point me in the right direction.

http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Squelch-for-SSB-tp4024466p4024469.html
To unsubscribe from Squelch for SSB, click here.
NAML

Re: Squelch for SSB

Bob Bowers

I just ran into something you might be able to use: 1982 August issue of 73 magazine has a 'voice operated squelch' (starting on page 44).  It's available as download on "repeater-builder.com".

It might work... it's designed to take the output of a receiver, and looks for human voice frequencies that shift based on syllables.  At least, it might be a start.

Hope this helped!

On 1/11/19 12:08 PM, ahlstromjc [via quisk] wrote:
Quisk does not currently have squelch for SSB. I do not know an algorithm for it, so it would help if someone could point me in the right direction.

http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Squelch-for-SSB-tp4024466p4024469.html
To unsubscribe from Squelch for SSB, click here.
NAML

Re: Squelch for SSB

Thanks Bob. I will look into it.