Starting from scratch

Brian K1LI
I'm just getting started with SDR. Wanting to operate CW (and QSK), I've had the usual trouble with intolerably long latency using SoftRock RxTx and other SDRs with a Windows PC. Quisk on LINUX seems like a great solution and I'd like to deploy the system on a Raspberry Pi. Sadly, I am new to this platform, so I hope someone will indulge me with answers to a few simple questions. The hardware configuration I'm considering is a typical rPi B3 starter kit plus AudioInjector "Octo" sound card. Does anyone have experience with the Octo? In my ignorance, it seems that connecting the sound card directly to the rPi (rather than via USB or Ethernet) should minimize latency. If Quisk with USB or Ethernet does not add substantial latency, I'd be happy to go that way, too. I'd also appreciate a LINUX recommendation, pro or con. Is any one better or worse than another? Thanks.