quisk for windows

magun
I run quisk under Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) successfully in RX & TX mode and like it very much. My hf hardware is a Funkamateur transceiver (kit) that covers 1.6 to 30 MHz but otherwise has the same functionality as a Softrock 6.3_rxtx with an USB controlled SI570 LO.

I tried to run quisk under XP professional with success as receiver. However when transmitting the sound output becomes garbled (periodically interrupted), the PTT button does not become red and the CPU load drops drastically to only 2 %.

What could be the cause?

Andreas
HB9EHI

Re: quisk for windows

The garbled sound on transmit is a known problem.  Windows is not as fast delivering sound as Linux, and I have not had time to fix this.  Maybe soon.  Meanwhile you could try adjusting the sound timing parameters in your config file.

The PTT button will not function unless there is a method OnButtonPTT in your hardware file that controls whatever the hardware uses.  See the hiqsdr hardware file for an example.

The drop in CPU usage on transmit is due to lack of screen updates and lack of filtering and demodulation of received sound.  Try switching to the config screen while receiving to see the drop due to screen update.  Try the FDX (full duplex) button to continue the audio.

Re: quisk for windows

magun
Hi Jim

Thank you for your reply.

I had another go with the windows version of quisk and realized that contrary to my previous statement the PTT button did work and the CPU activity did not drop. Fiddeling with the sound parameters (latency_millisecs ? and data_poll_usec ?)
did not help with the problem. The FDX option did not help either.

I am happy with the Linux version of quisk. It even works on my Lenovo S12 with an atom 270 cpu. A  fixed windows version would be handy to operate some of the faster USB sound cards (emu and others)

Andreas
HB9EHI

Re: quisk for windows

Hello,

The latest Quisk 3.5.8 should fix this problem.  I did some more work on the Windows version, and I now think it is equivalent to the Linux version except for timing differences in the OS.

Re: quisk for windows

magun
Hi all

As mentioned before, the 3.5.9 Windows Version works now fine in RX and TX mode with a Soft Rock similar
hardware.

I installed quisk on a Lenovo S12 netbook (Atom 270) under Ubuntu Lucid and XP (32 bit).
I/Q input is done with the on board Realtek sound chip, I/Q output with an USB Dual Aureon 'card'.

With 48000 samples per second the CPU loads are:

Linux (SSB & 5 spectra per second): 75%
XP    (SSB & 5 spectra per second): 25%

Linux (CW & 5 spectra per second): 85%
XP    (CW & 5 spectra per second): 60%

I am wondering why under Linux the CPU load is so much higher for SSB - any ideas?

HB9EHI

Re: quisk for windows

There are two major users of CPU time in Quisk, the waterfall display and the digital filters.  The difference between Linux and Windows may be a result of different display drivers.  To check, watch the CPU time while switching between the waterfall screen and the config screen.  The config screen uses little resources.

The difference between SSB and CW is the filter length.  CW uses more taps to get narrower filters, and so should use more CPU time.

If you want to compare CPU times, be sure to stay on the same display screen, mode and filter bandwidth.

Re: quisk for windows

diemei
In the astern twentieth century, converse chuck taylor white trainers activate a boxlike exchange animosity and actually it got a new business abettor in the year 2003 to acclaim its exchange in Europe and Asia. Converse has witnessed abounding alterations in its fabric, color, absolute and all-embracing look. There are abounding acclimatized brands for both males and females. Overall, Converse Chuck Taylor All Ablaze Shoes are a complete amalgamation that can attraction chump at the ancient sight.